A Bridging Loan is a no interest no fees program designed to assist you if you do not immediately have the funds available to cover your program deposit and flight booking costs. It enables you to pay for these costs with your financial aid package. The Bridging Loan will cover these costs until the program fee is billed to your account.
Other possible upfront costs associated with attendance on a program abroad, such as passports, visas, and medical visits, will often need to be paid for directly by you before your financial aid disbursement occurs.
- Schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting with the Office of Student Finance (OSF)
- OSF will notify the Learning Abroad Center if approved
- The Bridging Loan Agreement Form will then be added to your study abroad program application
- Complete the checklist item by the deadline below
- LAC will send an email with instructions for booking your flight
|Program Term||Bridging Loan Deadline|
|Fall Semester||June 1|
|Academic Year||June 1|
|Winter Break||November 15|
|Calendar Year||November 15|
|Spring Semester||November 15|
|Spring Break||December 15|
- You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campuses
- You must have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $16,300 or less for the previous or current academic year on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To determine your EFC you will need to access your Financial Aid Summary instructions on MyU (click "Financial Aid Summary" to view EFC). If selected for an award, documentation of your financial aid eligibility will be required.
- Beginning with Fall 2024 programs, eligibility will be based on your Student Aid Index (SAI) rather than EFC. The specific SAI amount has not yet been determined and will be posted in mid-spring semester 2024.
- You must have applied, or are planning to apply, to a credit-bearing fall, winter break, spring, spring break, Academic Year, or Calendar Year Learning Abroad Center program
If you are a Carlson student participating in a Carlson Global Institute program, review information about their Connecting Flight Advance program.
Ensure that your program is on this list before applying. Only fall, winter break, spring, spring break, academic year, or calendar year Learning Abroad Center programs are eligible. May and summer programs are not eligible.
For questions about Bridging Loan, contact Clara Arent.
Africa & the Middle East
Asia & Oceania
- Exchange in Hiroshima, Japan
- Exchange in Kyoto, Japan—Ritsumeikan University
- Exchange in Nagoya, Japan
- Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Hitotsubashi University
- Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Sophia University
- University Study in New Zealand: University of Auckland
- University Study in New Zealand: University of Otago
- Business in France
- Engineering in France
- Language & Culture in Southern France
- Teaching Practicum in France
- Youth Development & Psychology
- Exchange in Norway: Norwegian University of Life Sciences
- Exchange in Norway: University of Bergen
- Exchange in Norway, University of Oslo
- Psychology & Research in Madrid
- Study & Intern in Barcelona
- Business in Barcelona
- Study & Intern in Madrid
- Study & Intern in Toledo