A Bridging Loan is a no interest no fees program designed to assist you if you do not immediately have the funds available to cover your program deposit and flight booking costs. It enables you to pay for these costs with your financial aid package. The Bridging Loan will cover these costs until the program fee is billed to your account.
Other possible upfront costs associated with attendance on a program abroad, such as passports, visas, and medical visits, will often need to be paid for directly by you before your financial aid disbursement occurs.
You must print, fill out, and submit the completed agreement form to apply.
The Bridging Loan Agreement Form must be submitted to the Learning Abroad Center by the date listed below. If the deadline falls on a weekend, submit your materials by the following business day. Before submitting the form to the Learning Abroad Center, you will need to schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting with the Office of Student Finance.
|Program Term||Bridging Loan Deadline|
|Fall Semester||June 1|
|Academic Year||June 1|
|winter break||November 15|
|Calendar Year||November 15|
|Spring Semester||November 15|
|Spring Break||December 15|
- You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campuses
- You must have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $15,000 or less for the previous or current academic year on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To determine your EFC you will need to access your Financial Aid Summary instructions on MyU (click "Financial Aid Summary" to view EFC). If selected for an award, documentation of your financial aid eligibility will be required.
- You must have applied, or are planning to apply, to a credit-bearing fall, winter break, spring, spring break, Academic Year, or Calendar Year Learning Abroad Center program
If you are a Carlson student participating in a Carlson Global Institute program, review information about their Connecting Flight Advance program.
Ensure that your program is on this list before applying. Only fall, winter break, spring, spring break, academic year, or calendar year Learning Abroad Center programs are eligible. May and summer programs are not eligible.
Africa & the Middle East
Asia & Oceania
- Study & Intern in Sydney
- University Study in Australia: Australian Catholic University
- University Study in Australia: University of Sydney
- Exchange in Hiroshima, Japan
- Exchange in Kyoto, Japan—Ritsumeikan University
- Exchange in Nagoya, Japan
- Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Hitotsubashi University
- Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Sophia University
- University Study in New Zealand: University of Auckland
- University Study in New Zealand: University of Otago
- Business in France
- Engineering in France
- Language & Culture in Southern France
- Teaching Practicum in France
- Youth Development & Psychology
- Exchange in Oslo
- University Study in Norway: Norwegian University of Life Sciences
- University Study in Norway: University of Bergen
- Psychology & Research in Madrid
- Study & Intern in Barcelona
- Study & Intern in Madrid
- Study & Intern in Toledo