The Learning Abroad Center’s Study Abroad Scholarship provides awards for Non-University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on eligible Learning Abroad Center credit-bearing programs. This scholarship is intended to:
- assist students in easing the financial burden of studying abroad
- grant students equal access to an opportunity for financial assistance
This scholarship is not need or merit based, and awards are granted on the strength of a student’s essay.
- Open to Non University of Minnesota Students participating on eligible Learning Abroad Center Programs
- Open to University of Minnesota coordinate campus students (not including Twin Cities and Rochester students) on a LAC open enrollment program
- Must be enrolled as degree-seeking undergraduate student at your home institution
- Must have already applied to a University of Minnesota study abroad program
- Must have already been issued a University of Minnesota ID number
Applications will be evaluated based on how:
- thoroughly you answer the specific question outlined below
- well written your essay is, in terms of grammar, punctuation and organization
Reflect on how the program you chose relates to your academic, career, and/or personal goals. Why did you choose this particular program? Describe specific program features and elaborate on how these will help you meet one or more of your goals. (350 words maximum)
As you write your essay, consider the following:
- “Academic” goals do not need to be related to your major; we are looking for you to describe how the program coursework and/or components are relevant to your goals.
- Regardless of what type of goal(s) you are focusing on, explain how your goal(s) enhances intellectual learning.
|Term Abroad||Deadline||Notification Timeline|
|Fall Semester 2022||April 6, 2022||mid-May 2022|
|Academic Year 2022-23||April 6, 2022||mid-May 2022|
|Winter Break 2023||October 12, 2022||mid-November 2022|
|Spring Semester 2023||October 12, 2022||mid-November 2022|
|May Session 2023||February 15, 2023||mid-March 2023|
|Summer Session 2023||February 15, 2023||mid-March 2023|
|Fall Semester 2023||April 5, 2023||mid-May 2023|
|Academic Year 2023-24||April 5, 2023||mid-May 2023|
Applications must be received by the Learning Abroad Center by 11:59 p.m. CST on the deadline date.
How to submit your application
Once you start you study abroad program application, you will see an optional scholarship application form on your checklist. Submit the form by the indicated deadline.