There are many scholarships available specifically for students planning to study abroad. You can also use most general scholarships to fund your study abroad experience. In many cases, you do not need to have applied for your study abroad program to be eligible to apply for study abroad scholarships. Start researching scholarship opportunities early so you don't miss any application deadlines.
The Scholarships at a Glance (PDF) chart lets you quickly determine eligibility, award amounts, and deadlines for some of the most promising scholarships.
Learning Abroad Center Scholarships
- Study Abroad Scholarship
- Diversity Study Abroad Scholarship
- Financial Need Early Planning Scholarship
- President's Emerging Scholars Fund the Gap Scholarship
- International Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (I-UROP) Scholarship
Program-Specific and University of Minnesota College/Department Scholarships
There are a a variety of program-specific and UofM college and departmental scholarships available. Review the links below and be sure to check with your college or department for more information.
Affiliated Program Scholarships
Other UofM Scholarships
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship
- Boren Scholarship & Fellowship for International Study
- Freeman ASIA Scholarship
- Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship
Scholarship Search Resources
- Learning Abroad Center Study Abroad Scholarship Search
- UofM Undergraduate Scholarship Search
- UofM Office of National & Interational Scholarships (housed in University Honors Program but open to students from all colleges)
Tips & Resources
- How to Write an Effective Personal Statement: Helpful recommendations from the UofM's Office for National & International Scholarships
- UofM Student Writing Support: Schedule an online or in person appointment in Nicholson or Appleby Hall to get your scholarship application reviewed
- Creative Ways to Finance Learning Abroad