The Learning Abroad Center’s President’s Emerging Scholars Fund the Gap Scholarship provides awards for University of Minnesota undergraduate students participating in credit-bearing study abroad programs.
This scholarship is intended to:
- Increase the number of PES students participating in semester-long study abroad programs
- Make study abroad more accessible to PES students who wouldn’t otherwise participate by making the cost of a program the same as or close to the cost of attendance on campus
The PES Fund the Gap scholarship is not merit-based and awards are granted based on the strength of a student’s essay and expressed interest in study abroad. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campuses at the time of applying, and during the term abroad.
- You must be active in the President’s Emerging Scholars program.
- The award can only be used for a credit-bearing study abroad program during fall semester or the spring semester of the following academic year.
- Semester-long programs offered by the Learning Abroad Center, affiliates, Carlson Global Institute, and UofM college/department programs offered through the Learning Abroad Center are eligible. Nonaffiliated programs and National Student Exchange programs are not eligible.
- The PES Fund the Gap Scholarship cannot be combined with other Learning Abroad Center scholarships, with the exception of I-UROP.
- Recipients must participate in required activities during spring semester to help them prepare to apply for a program.
- Demonstrated effort in preparing for study abroad (e.g. completing a First Step session, meeting with a Learning Abroad Center adviser, meeting with academic adviser or PES peer mentor to discuss study abroad, etc.)
- Participation in the PES Student Success Coaching Program
How will a study abroad experience contribute to your academic learning and personal growth? What skills and experience do you hope to gain from studying abroad and how do they relate to your career goals? (500 word max)
Essays will be evaluated based on:
- How thoroughly you answer the specific essay question
- How well written your essay is in terms of grammar, punctuation, and organization
Deadlines, Terms, & Award Amounts
|Term||Amount||Deadline Date||Notification Date|
|Fall Semester 2023||$6,000||October 21, 2022||November 16, 2022|
|Spring Semester 2024||$5,000||October 21, 2022||November 16, 2022|
Submit Your Application
Apply now for a Fall 2023 or Spring 2024 program.