Learning Abroad Center

Military, Veteran, and GI Bill® Students

Veterans and their dependents may be able to use their education benefits to help fund their study abroad experience. We are committed to doing all we can to help you make that determination and have a successful experience abroad. Contact University Veterans Services for more information.

GI Bill®

There are specific requirements an education abroad experience must meet in order to qualify for use of the GI Bill® to offset expenses:

  • The course(s) must be required for the student's degree at the University of Minnesota.
  • The course(s) must be led by UMN instructors.

The VA has additional rules surrounding what specific education abroad expenses it will pay, the percentage of expenses it will pay, etc. Contact University Veterans Services for more detailed information.

Gilman-McCain Scholarship

The Gilman-McCain Scholarship is a congressionally funded initiative of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the US Department of State and is named after the late senator John S. McCain from Arizona. The Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.