The Learning Abroad Center’s Study Abroad Scholarship provides awards for University of Minnesota undergraduate students participating in credit-bearing programs. This scholarship is intended to:
- Assist students in easing the financial burden of studying abroad
- Grant students equal access to an opportunity for financial assistance
The Study Abroad Scholarship has the broadest eligibility requirements of all our scholarships. This scholarship is not need or merit-based, and awards are granted on the strength of a student’s essay.
- You must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campuses at the time of application.
- You must be participating in a credit-bearing study abroad program through the Learning Abroad Center or Carlson Global Institute (this includes CGI's self-designed international experience, IBUS 3999).
- Students who obtain collegiate approval to participate in a nonaffiliated program or directed study are eligible.
- Virtual programs (including Virtual Internship or Virtual Research) are not eligible.
- You can apply for any or all of the Learning Abroad Center scholarships (Study Abroad, Diversity, and Financial Need) for which you are eligible. It is possible to be awarded both the Diversity and Financial Need scholarships. Students who receive the Diversity or Financial Need scholarships cannot also receive the Study Abroad scholarship.
- Students can receive a maximum of 3 Learning Abroad Center scholarships (Study Abroad, Diversity, Financial Need) during their undergraduate career.
- Graduate students may complete an application and will only be considered for private donor scholarships for which they are eligible
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- How thoroughly you answer the specific question outlined below
- How well written your essay is, in terms of grammar, punctuation and organization
Reflect on how the program you chose relates to your academic, career, and/or personal goals. Why did you choose this particular program? Describe specific program features and elaborate on how these will help you meet one or more of your goals. (350 words maximum)
As you write your essay, consider the following:
- “Academic” goals do not need to be related to your major; we are looking for you to describe how the program coursework and/or components are relevant to your goals.
- Regardless of what type of goals you are focusing on, explain how your goals enhance intellectual learning.
Deadlines & Award Amounts
Apply before for the deadline of the term abroad, found on the Dates section of the program page. Contact Thuy Doan if you have questions.
The application for your term abroad will become available after the current deadline has passed. For example, if you are studying abroad in spring, you cannot apply until after the deadline for fall programs.
|Term Abroad||Amount||Application Available||Deadline Date||Notification Date|
|Winter break 2021-22
Winter break 2021-22 (fall 2021 on-campus course)
Winter break 2021-22 (spring 2022 on-campus course)
|$1,000||Apply now||October 13, 2021||Late November 2021|
|Spring semester 2022||$2,000||Apply now||October 13, 2021||Late November 2021|
|Calendar year (spring 2022 - fall 2022)||$4,000||Apply now||October 13, 2021||Late November 2021|
|Spring break 2022||$1,000||October 14, 2022||February 16, 2022||Late March 2022|
|May session 2022
May session 2022 (Spring 2022 on-campus course)
|$1,000||October 14, 2022||February 16, 2022||Late March 2022|
|Summer session 2022||$1,500||October 14, 2022||February 16, 2022||Late March 2022|
|Fall semester 2022||$2,000||February 17, 2022||April 6, 2022||Mid May 2022|
|Academic year 2022-2023||$4,000||February 17, 2022||April 6, 2022||Mid May 2022|
Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on the deadline date. Scholarship notification emails will be sent to all applicants' UMN email accounts 4-6 weeks after the deadline.
How to submit your application:
Apply now for winter break, spring semester, and calendar year programs. Select the 'UMN' option on the login page and log in using your UofM internet ID.