Non UofM Students


Travel Documents

Passports & Visas. Ensure that your travel documents are in order.

Consortium Agreement between Your School & the University of Minnesota

Check with your home school's study abroad and financial aid office for details on process and eligibility requirements. You are not eligible for funding from the University of Minnesota. To access financial aid from your home institution, you will likely need to complete a consortium agreement, which you may obtain from your home university.

Study Abroad Blog

Our Global Crossroads blog features blog posts from current students who are studying abroad. 

Current Events Abroad

Country Reports: Country information from around the world. Regularly updated information and maps, including lots of statistics. A British site with links to current news from and above the "two-thirds world."

Health & Safety

CISI International Travel, Health, and Security Resources

Centers for Disease Control: Travel and prophylactic health information by country.

Travel Health Online: A useful travel health site.

US State Department's Your Health Abroad: Find doctors and hospitals abroad.

Health Information by Country: Information distributed by the World Health Organization.

SAFETI/Peace Corps: Peace Corps materials adapted to study abroad.

US State Department Travel Information: Travel adviseries and Consular Information Sheets for US citizens traveling abroad.

NAFSA's Resources for Health and Safety in Education Abroad: includes links to British, Canadian, and Australian counterparts to the State Department site.

US Embassies: Websites of US Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions abroad.

Experiences Abroad

Gender Abroad: Northwestern University site providing web links and bibliography of print pieces on gender issues in study abroad.

Multicultural Students Abroad: Learning Abroad Center page designed for multicultural students studying abroad.

GLBT Students and Study Abroad: Indiana University site containing travel/study abroad information and links for GLBT students.

Mobility International USA: For international travelers with disabilities.

Access Abroad: Learning Abroad Center page designed for students with disabilities.

Foreign Currency

Foreign Currency Converter: Check the exchange rate between currencies of any two countries.

VISA ATM Locator and MasterCard ATM Locator: Find a convenient place to access an ATM while abroad.

Communication Abroad

Country Codes: Gives country codes and explains how to dial out of one country to another.

Cybercafes Abroad: Easy-to-use search engine for cybercafes.

Time Zones: Convert time in one country to time in another (helpful when calling home).

Web Translator: Translates blocks of text and webpages.

Translating Dictionaries: Offers basic phrases in multiple languages, including less-commonly-taught languages (such as Amharic and Basque).

Global Climate

World Climate: Climatic data on thousands of cities throughout the world.

By City/Country: Covers most cities in each country, and lists current and near future conditions.

Through BBC: Five-day forecasts, excellent for European weather conditions.

International Development

Eldis: British/Scandinavian gateway site to a wide variety of information about development, including 15,000 online documents and 4,500 organizations.

Praxis: Resources for Social and Economic Development: Another gateway site to many development resources. Maintained by a University of Pennsylvania professor.