Learning Abroad Center

Eligibility Policies

In general, programs are open to students 18 years or older who at the time of application are enrolled as a degree seeking students at an accredited university or college who are in good academic standing, who are not on disciplinary probation, and do not have any holds on their record preventing them from registering.  See below for specific eligibility policies.  For eligibility information about a specific program, contact the Learning Abroad Center staff member listed on the Contact page for that program.

Academic Probation

Students are expected to remain in good academic standing during the term prior to their study abroad experience. Students not in good academic standing may be disqualified from participation. Students on probation may be allowed to study abroad, pending the approval of their college advising office. Students on academic suspension may not participate in a learning abroad program.

Students should notify the Learning Abroad Center as early as possible if there is a possibility that they will be on academic probation during their learning abroad experience. The Learning Abroad Center will consult with the student’s academic adviser to determine if the student will be allowed to participate, and under what parameters (if any).

Collegiate approval requires temporary removal of the probation hold on registration and willingness to hold probationary advising meetings via email while the student is abroad.

Affiliated Programs

UMTC students can participate in most programs offered by UMTC affiliates, even those not listed on the Learning Abroad Center website.  See the Non-Promoted Affiliate Programs page for more information. Some exceptions exist, including programs whose dates overlap with required on campus terms (fall or spring).  Talk to a Learning Abroad Center adviser before applying to confirm that  UMTC students are allowed to participate. 

Affiliated Programs Available through Another UofM Campus

UMTC students cannot participate in an affiliate program offered by another UofM campus.  As with other programs that have not been reviewed and approved by the UMTC campus, students would need to use the nonaffiliated program process to participate in a program affiliated with another UofM campus.

Direct Enrollment

Affiliate organizations and partner universities will not accept applications from UMTC students without the endorsement of the Learning Abroad Center.  Students must participate in affiliate organization and partner university programs through the standard Learning Abroad Center application process. 

Disciplinary Probation

The Learning Abroad Center reviews applicant records with University of Minnesota Housing & Residential Life as well as the Office for Community Standards. Failure to disclose previous offenses during the application process may negatively impact a student's ability to participate in a program and could be grounds for dismissal. Students on disciplinary probation or with a disciplinary record will be considered for a learning abroad program on a case-by-case basis. Students with minor offenses typically are approved to participate. Students with more serious cases may be required to fulfill additional requirements or in some cases may not be allowed to participate.


Students must clear any holds on their University of Minnesota student record prior to their departure by working directly with the University of Minnesota college or office issuing the hold. Holds prevent a credit from being processed and financial aid (if applicable) from being released. Learning Abroad Center advisers are not able to clear or override holds for students.  Students will not be allowed to participate in a program if they are unable to register because of a hold on their record.

Class Standing

Program eligibility is determined by class standing, which varies by program.  Class standing is defined by number of credits and is based on University of Minnesota definitions.

Some programs may have on-campus requirements in addition to class standing requirements, in which case students must have completed a certain number of credits or terms at the UofM prior to participation in the program, regardless of the total number of credits the student might have earned from other institutions or as a PSEO student at the UofM.  

First-Term University of Minnesota Students

Policy details are described in the academic policies section of the website.

Graduate Students

Many programs are open to graduate students but the majority offer only undergraduate credit, unless otherwise noted.  See the graduate student web pages for more information about opportunities for graduate students.

Minors Under the Age of 18

Students must be 18 years old at the time of participation. Students can apply when they are under 18 but may need a parent/guardian signature on application and enrollment forms. 

Nonaffiliated Programs

The nonaffiliated program process exists to facilitate participation on a program or at an institution that the UofM does not have contractual relationship with. In these cases students are obligated to use the Nonaffiliated programs process. The nonaffiliated programs process is not available for programs/institutions where there is an existing UofM partnership.  This process is also not available for nonaffiliated programs whose dates conflict with the academic calendar for a required term on campus (fall and spring semester).

PSEO Students

Due to the way tuition and fees are charged for study abroad, PSEO cannot cover the tuition for any course requirements. However, PSEO students may participate as non-degree seeking students and study abroad as long as they are 18 at the time of the abroad experience and meet all other eligibility requirements. Students that choose this option are responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the course and travel. 

Recently Graduated Students

Students planning to study abroad on a short-term program (winter break, May, or summer) immediately after they graduate will be considered non-degree seeking students, which may impact eligibility for specific study abroad programs and eligibility for federal and state financial aid.  Graduated students are not eligible to participate in affiliated programs and many university study programs but may be eligible to participate in instructor-led and study center programs sponsored by the Learning Abroad Center. Students should consult with the Learning Abroad Center program team for eligibility details for their program of interest and with the Office of Student Finance for guidance and additional information about financial aid.

May / summer programs for graduating seniors