“We have shifted our view of study abroad from being simply an option for our students, to what is now an essential experience for those pursuing any of the art disciplines. The making of art doesn't happen in a vacuum and thus requires an expanded understanding of cultural, social, and historical dynamics that extend beyond our own familiar boundaries.”
—Clarence Morgan, Professor and Chair of the Department of Art
Be sure to meet with your department adviser to fill out an Academic Planning Study Abroad (APSA) form to determine how courses will count toward your major or minor.
Core Major Courses
- All internships must be approved by the student’s academic adviser (or the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the adviser’s absence) in order to use them to fulfill requirements. This should be done during the academic planning process prior to the experience.
College/Department Scholarships for UofM Students
Africa and the Middle East
University Study in Israel: Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Study in Jerusalem, a city sacred to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This thriving metropolis is a melding of past and present, or ancient roots and modern innovations.
- Fine arts courses available through ArtJerusalem in a variety of areas such as etching, painting, drawing, sculpture, and photography.
- Instruction at the Rothberg School is in English; no prior Hebrew is required. Students fluent in Hebrew may also take regular courses.
MSID—International Development in Kenya
- Study international development in Kenya, a country of immense geographic and cultural diversity. Contribute through an internship or research project with a nonprofit organization. Based in Nairobi, with internship options outside the city.
- Internships through the Arts and Culture track could involve collaborative projects with local artists, organizations that promote local artists, women’s groups, and community centers.
- No language required. Semester and Academic Year terms available.
MSID—International Development in Senegal
- Study international development in Senegal, a fascinating French-speaking country seen as a bridge between Africa and the West. Contribute through an internship or research project with a nonprofit organization. Based in Dakar with internship options outside the city.
- Students can select the art and culture track as part of the International Development course to develop a critical understanding of culture through an analysis of the literature, art, film, and music.
- Two years of college-level French required. Semester and academic year terms available.
CIEE Argentina—Buenos Aires
- For students with a strong Spanish language background who are looking for an immersion experience in Argentina.
- Take courses at the CIEE center and the Instituto Universitario Nacional de Arte (IUNA).
- Coursework is available in multimedia arts, drawing, painting, printmaking, and sculpture.
Study Abroad in Buenos Aires
- Study in downtown Buenos Aires and explore global & cultural issues while developing your spanish.
- Buenos Aires: City of Arts course focuses on the art and architecture of Argentina.
- Learn about different artistic movements in Argentina and broaden your perspective of world art.
Chilean Universities Program, Santiago (available through IFSA Chile)
- Designed for students with advanced Spanish skills who can take courses at three universities in Santiago--Universidad de Chile, Pontifica Universidad Católica de Chile, and Universidad Diego Portales.
- The Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile offers Basic Drawing, Metal Engraving, Art in Chile, Latin American Painting, and Advanced Engraving.
- The Universidad de Chile has coursework in Art History, Pottery, and Photography.
- Five semesters of college level Spanish required.
Asia and Oceania
Australian National University, Canberra (available through Arcadia Australia or IFSA Australia)
- Located in Australia’s national capital, students can take classes in the School of Art within Australian National University.
- A variety of course options in both art history and theory as well as studio options in painting, sculpture, textiles, and photo media.
- Students interested in pursuing studio art courses should be prepared to send out a portfolio of 8-12 examples of work.
University Study in Australia: University of Melbourne
- The University of Melbourne, known for its excellence in teaching and research, consistently ranks among the world’s top universities. Considered the “World’s Most Livable City,” Melbourne offers students both a metropolitan lifestyle while being just minutes away from vibrant beaches and abundant national parks.
- Reputable arts and performing arts college with classes in drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture.
University Study in Australia: University of Sydney
- Located on the edge of downtown, the University of Sydney is an old and traditional institution by Australian standards—something of an Australian counterpart to an Ivy League school.
- Art majors can take visual arts classes taught at the Sydney College of the Arts, many of which have a studio component.
MSID—International Development in Thailand
- Academic program built around grassroots development internships. Homestays and internship/research further enrich cultural immersion. Based in Chiang Mai but with internship options outside the city.
- Internship placements have focused on such areas as arts and culture, sustainability and the environment, public health, education and literacy, entrepreneurship and alternative economies, and social service.
- Instruction is in English; no prior Thai language is required.
- Students have many opportunities to immerse themselves in French language and culture through coursework and homestay experiences.
- Students with French language proficiency can register for courses at the IES center in addition to courses offered at local universities.
- IES students with prior training in studio art are eligible to enroll in one to two courses at the Ecole Régionale des Beaux-Arts.
Exchange in Germany
- Take courses at Freie University in Berlin--the largest city in Germany with a vibrant cultural life and a rich history.
- Students take courses from the university’s curriculum with German students. Although FU does not have studio classes on offer, students can choose to take coursework in the art history department or fulfill a variety of liberal education requirements.
- Two years of college-level German required.
WorkART Kunstverein Fellowship Program (Available through the Center for German and European Studies)
- Gather valuable insights into Germany’s art world, into the nonprofit arts sector and cultural management, into exhibiting and organizing art events, and into cultural politics.
- Work directly with artists, art management, and an interested public.
- Each internship fellow will work with the head and the staff of a Kunstverein chapter according to an individually negotiated schedule during a four (minimum) to eight (maximum) week internship between late May and mid-August. 20 to 30 hours of work per week. Ten fellowships are available.
Burren College of Art, Ballyvaughan (available through Arcadia Ireland)
- Study art on the grounds of a 16th-Century castle in rural Ireland
- Students have personal studio space and one-on-one guidance by faculty and visiting artists.
- Coursework available in drawing, painting, photography, and sculpture.
Study & Intern in Florence
- Take classes in studio art, art history, psychology, and more while studying Italian language.
- Participate in an internship to gain international work experience. Sample internships could place students in a local gallery.
- No language prerequisite; semester and academic year terms available.
Accademia Italiana, Florence (available through Arcadia Italy)
- The Accademia is one of Europe's premier institutes for the study of Art and Design and is for students interested in studio art, fashion design, graphic design, interior and industrial design, and textile design.
- Classes may include photography, painting, mixed media, art history, sketching, and more.
- No language prerequisite, but upper division coursework is taught in Italian.
Glasgow School of Art, Scotland (available through Arcadia Scotland or IFSA United Kingdom)
- The Glasgow School of Art is a small and very specialized art school concentrating on fine art, design, and architecture.
- All of its teaching and research is studio-based, and courses include painting and printmaking, sculpture and environmental art, and fine art photography.
- Glasgow is the third largest city in the UK.
University Study in the UK: University of Glasgow
- Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow consistently ranks as one of the UK's most highly-rated schools with a comprehensive curriculum. Students find Glasgow to be a friendly and welcoming city with easy access to the Scottish Isle and highlands.
- Choose from a variety of courses in The School of Culture and Creative Arts with a strong focus on art history and theory.
Study & Intern in Toledo
- Available courses include art history, social science, and many more opportunities, including an internship.
- Multiple museum internship offerings are available and may be of interest to current art majors.
- Two years of college level Spanish required.
Goldsmiths College, University of London (available through Arcadia United Kingdom)
- Located in the Gold Cross area of London, Goldsmith’s College offers students a strong arts and music scene as a strong academic focus on artistic theory and practice.
- Popular courses at Goldsmiths include fine art & textiles, art history, drama and theater arts, sociology and communications.
- Studio arts program for academic year only. Students should be prepared to submit a portfolio of work.
Study & Intern in London
- The program offers a professional internship placement along with coursework in the humanities, social sciences, and business.
- Placement opportunities include working in art education, art studios, art galleries, and many others.
University of the Arts, London--Studio Art Program (available through IFSA United Kingdom)
- Solidify your artistic vision at Europe’s largest university for art and design. Located in the heart of London, students can enjoy all the city has to offer including diverse history and a thriving cultural scene.
- Art majors have the option to take courses in a variety of disciplines as well as intensive independent study.
- Students should be prepared to submit a portfolio for admission into program and certain courses.
Additional Options to Consider
Visit the Learning Abroad Center's Student Experiences web page for details on other students' experiences studying abroad.