UofM Students

Academic Information

Fulfilling Academic Requirements

As you form your academic and career goals, incorporate planning for a learning abroad experience into your advising and career counseling appointments, as well as visits with faculty.  That way your study, service-learning, work, intern, or volunteer experience will be fundamentally linked to your career interests and degree program.

Liberal Education Requirements

Search the U-Credit Abroad database to select from several hundred study abroad courses that have already been approved for liberal education credit.  You may also submit any course not yet evaluated for approval online.

Major Advising Pages

The U of M has made a tremendous effort to help you incorporate international content into your major. Visit Major Advising Pages (MAPS) for more information. 

Language Requirements

You can complete second language requirements while abroad.  See individual program descriptions for more information.

Global Identity

Global Identity: Connecting Your International Experience to Your Future is an optional 1-credit online course that helps you process your overseas experience and apply what you've learned upon your return.  The course assists you in reflecting on multiple layers of cross-cultural experience and marketing your study abroad experience for future goals.

Learning Abroad Center Academic Policies

Outlined in these policies, you'll find academic details, including credit load, academic standing, grading, the University of Minnesota's acceptance of coursework, and more.