- You may be able to complete your internship or field study requirement while abroad. The program list below includes a section on field experiences that have been reviewed by CFANS faculty. Additional options are certainly available but would require prior approval from your adviser.
CFANS strongly encourages students to participate in UofM-sponsored or affiliated programs, which have been vetted and approved by the Learning Abroad Center or another unit on campus. The UofM has close working relationships with hundreds of affiliated programs that are high quality in terms of academic standards, housing, cultural immersion, health and safety and administrative support services. CFANS will not support or approve student participation in nonaffiliated programs.
Asia and Oceania
University of Melbourne (available through IFSA Australia)
- The University of Melbourne is one of Australia’s leading universities
- Take courses in forestry and forest products marketing
University of Technology in Sydney (available through IFSA Australia)
- UTS is a dynamic and cosmopolitan university
- Take courses in Residential Building Science and Technology
Australian National University (available through IFSA Australia)
- ANU is one of Australia’s most distinguished universities
- Choose from course offerings ranging from biodiversity conservation to environmental politics and policies to wildlife and habitat management.
University of Adelaide (available through IFSA Australia)
- The University of Adelaide is a center of academic excellence in South Australia
- Adelaide is surrounded by Outback, the Flinders Mountain Range, and the Pacific Ocean, making it an interesting place to study natural resources and environmental studies
- Take classes from throughout the university including natural resource management, environmental management, and tropical environments
James Cook University (available through IFSA Australia)
- With its tropical location near the Great Barrier Reef, rainforest, and outback, James Cook University provides an ideal location to study natural resources and environmental studies
- JCU has long been respected as a world leader in tropical environmental study
- Take courses in tropical rainforest ecology, hydrology, marine ecology, and environmental assessment
Japanese Studies in Nagoya (available through IES Japan)
- Study in Nagoya, a modern city with a stunning natural environment
- Take classes in international business, finance and economics at Nanzan University
University of Canterbury (available through IFSA New Zealand)
- Study in Christchurch, the largest city on New Zealand’s South Island
- The U of Canterbury offers a vibrant campus environment
- Take courses in forestry
IES Austria—European Studies and Culture
- Study in Vienna, Austria’s capital city that offers rich cultural experiences and a breathtaking landscape
- Take courses in international business, finance and economics
Study Abroad in Denmark—Sustainability and International Business
- This program consists of coursework, field study, and study tours taught in English that take an interdisciplinary approach, through historical, political, managerial, ecological, and biological views, of environmental and resource issues from a European perspective.
- Explore current issues and practices in corporate strategy, marketing, and competition
- Gain a deeper understanding of Europe’s business environment and the European Union
Denmark & Sweden
- The Summer in Denmark & Sweden program offers academically rigorous courses in a wide variety of subjects, including courses with a sustainability focus. Each course is the equivalent of a semester-long course, compressed into 3–4 weeks. Instruction is in English by local faculty.
University of Westminster (available through IFSA United Kingdom)
- The University of Westminster has a reputation for academic excellence
- Take courses in Forest Products Marketing
Area Studies in Nantes (available through IES France)
- Take French-taught courses in international business and economics
- Enroll in courses at the Université de Nantes
Area Studies in Berlin (available through IES Berlin)
- Enroll in German-taught courses in international business and economics
- Take courses at a range of German universities in addition to regular course offerings
Additional Options to Consider
- 3-week, 3-credit programs at the 3000-level led by University of Minnesota faculty and staff over winter break or May session.
- Explore an exciting location and topic, Fulfill Liberal Education requirements, or earn major/minor credit.
- Combine on-campus instruction during the spring semester with a study abroad component during spring break, on a 3 credits, 1xxx level Seminar.
- Freshman Seminars Abroad are designed specifically for first-year students as an introduction to study abroad, an opportunity to explore an exciting location and topic, and likely fulfill a liberal education requirement.
- Check out additional LAC Instructor-led Seminars that might run over winter break, spring break, May, and summer sessions. They vary in length, dates, and content so students can find one that best fits their academic and professional goals.
- Begin your language study or work toward completing requirements for a language minor.
- Complete a semester of language on a short-term program or explore options to complete two or more semesters of language on semester-long program.