Explore Berlin's unique cultural history to connect coursework with the living history of the city. Or study in Freiburg, a city leading the European green technology and sustainability movement.
One of the nation’s oldest, largest, and most reputable study abroad providers, IES is a Chicago,IL-based, not-for-profit organization that enrolls more than 5,000 students annually, offering quality study abroad programs in Asia, Australia, Europe, and South America.
This is an affiliate program. You receive resident credit for the courses you take. Your grades factor into your University of Minnesota GPA and each course appears on your transcript with an A/F grade. Consult the Learning Abroad Center's Academic Policies for more information.
Affiliate organizations and partner universities will not accept applications from UMTC students without the endorsement of the Learning Abroad Center. Students must participate in affiliate organization and partner university programs through the standard Learning Abroad Center application process.
Semester & Academic-Year Programs
Berlin: Take courses in art history, business, cinema, economics, German language, literature and theatre, modern history, political science, humanities, natural sciences and social sciences. Courses emphasize the 20th Century background of contemporary issues and use structured field assignments in Berlin. Internships are available in art, business, education, mass media, social service, politics and theatre. Instruction is in German by German faculty.
Freiburg: The Environmental Studies and Sustainability Program allows you to explore important topics in Environmental Studies and Forest Ecology in English, while living in Freiburg, a center of the modern environmental movement. Spring semester students have the option to apply for a 6-week research assistantship in environmental studies upon conclusion of the program.
Typical credits: 30 for academic year; 15 for fall or spring semester.
Berlin: Enroll in English and German-taught courses focusing on German society and culture through the Language and Culture option. With the Metropolitan Studies and Architecture option, explore issues of urban studies, architecture and environmental studies in a modern city. Typical credits: 6 credits for a summer program.
Finding Course Information
Visit your affiliate's website for program dates and application deadlines.
Orientation Dates & Locations
Orientation will be conducted in 2 parts: an online orientation, which is mandatory for all students, and an in-person session. You will receive more information about the online orientation via email. Failure to complete the online orientation will impact your ability to go abroad.
The date for the in-person spring semester 2023 orientation is as follows:
University of Minnesota participants pay the program fee instead of on-campus tuition and fees for the term they are abroad.
How to Calculate the Total Program Fee
To calculate your total program fee
Find your Affiliate program fee
For more specific information about fees, visit the IES website.
Refer to the Affiliate Program Fees. Follow instructions on that page to determine your APAAC.
Add International Health Insurance
Multiply the number of months you will be away by $45.
Subtract Affiliate Fee Reduction
Visit the Affiliate Program Fees to determine the fee reduction you receive for being a University of Minnesota student.
What Is the APAAC?
Students participating on affiliated programs are charged a program fee that is inclusive of the affiliate's program fee, University of Minnesota Advising, Placement, Academic, and Administrative Costs (APAAC) and international health insurance.The APAAC covers:
- Application processing
- Advising services, orientation
- Course registration
- Grade transfer and posting for resident credit
- Program billing and assistance with financial aid (when applicable)
Based on these additional services and benefits, the total program fee may be higher than the affiliate's published program fee.
Billing & Payments
Visit Billing for information about the billing process for application fees, deposits, and program fees.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Visit Financial Information for information on using financial aid and scholarships for study abroad.
Each of our affiliated programs awards its own array of scholarships. While many are need-based, others are based on merit, location, academic area, or diversity criteria. Explore your options within specific affiliates' scholarship pages.
Before you apply to or confirm your participation on this program, review the Learning Abroad Center's Cancellation Policy to inform yourself of the timeline and financial obligations for canceling
Complete pre-application advising.
You will be charged a $50 application fee for each application you submit.
After you submit your application, you will receive an email notification confirming that your application was received. Submitted applications are assigned an application checklist, which will include the following items:
Submit to IES:
- IES Online Application
Detailed descriptions and instructions for submitting each checklist item are included on the application checklist assigned to you.
You do not need to print out the Authorization and Evaluation form. Once your application is complete, we can electronically authorize your application with IES.
- Upon submitting the online application, you will receive an automated email message indicating your application was received.
- Follow the instructions on your application checklist to submit all of the items. Your application is not considered complete until all items on your application checklist are either received or waived.
- Complete the affiliate program's application requirements as applicable.
- Your completed application is reviewed by our program team. If nominated for participation, the Learning Abroad Center contacts the affiliate's staff to notify them of your status.
- You will be notified of an acceptance decision by email. If accepted, you will be assigned a confirmation checklist. Log in to the online application to review the confirmation checklist and submit the required items.
- Do not pay the affiliate’s confirmation deposit. The affiliate accepts the Learning Abroad Center’s deposit as indication of confirmation. The Learning Abroad Center deposit is submitted by completing the Confirmation and Payment Agreement found on the confirmation checklist assigned to you.
- If you decide not to continue with the application process, log in to the online application and submit a Cancel Request. You must also notify your affiliate of your cancellation.
For further information or questions about this program, send an email to