Learning Abroad Center

College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences

Learn Abroad in Your Major

If an advising resource is not listed for your major it does not limit your eligibility to study abroad. Contact the Learning Abroad Center for more resources on choosing an appropriate program or visit the CFANS Office of International Programs.

Planning for Your Experience Abroad

Review your program requirements from your department before beginning your study abroad program research. Be sure to work with your CFANS adviser to make sure that your courses and experiences integrate well into your major.

How do I start planning for my time abroad?

Students interested in studying abroad should first meet with their CFANS academic advisers to discuss their plans. Following that meeting, students are encouraged to follow this basic process to study abroad. The order in which students complete these items is somewhat flexible.

How do I select a study abroad program?

More than 180 programs in 50 countries are available to University of Minnesota students. Consider your academic interests, your geographic interests, and your academic goals. Winter Break, May, and/or Summer Session programs can be a great first step. These programs can fulfill many liberal education requirements or provide the opportunity to get to know a professor. The CFANS Office of International Programs offers several programs every year that fit this timeframe and are created with CFANS students in mind.

Semester and academic year programs are a great option and can provide an opportunity to research, enroll at a foreign university, participate in an internship, or focus on language learning while living abroad for a much longer timeframe.

The Major Advising Pages below can be a great starting place; students will find a selection of programs that work particularly well for their degrees. For assistance, students can visit the Learning Abroad Center for Program Selection Advising for either a scheduled or drop-in appointment or stop by the CFANS Office of International Programs in 190 Coffey Hall for drop-in advising on Wednesdays from 2-4pm during Fall or Spring semester.

Nonaffiliated Programs

CFANS strongly encourages students to participate in UofM-sponsored or affiliated programs, which have been vetted and approved by the Learning Abroad Center or another unit on campus. The UofM has close working relationships with hundreds of affiliated programs that are high quality in terms of academic standards, housing, cultural immersion, health and safety and administrative support services. CFANS will not support or approve student participation in nonaffiliated programs.

How can I afford an international experience as a student?

Many abroad opportunities cost, on average, the same as what you will pay for a semester at the University of Minnesota. Do not let the fear that you cannot afford to study abroad keep you from exploring it as an educational opportunity. Learn more about how to finance your experience abroad by checking out these resources:

How does my year in school impact my study abroad planning?

  • Freshmen should speak with their academic advisers to start planning for study abroad and set aside some liberal education requirements that can be fulfilled abroad.
  • Sophomores should continue careful academic planning with your adviser so that your study abroad experience is fully integrated and won't delay your graduation.
  • Junior year tends to be a great time to study abroad for many students. It is also a great time to potentially do independent research, an Honors project, or internship abroad with early planning with academic advisers.
  • Seniors can study abroad with careful planning but should make sure they can complete their degree requirements abroad.

How can I study abroad and still graduate on time?

  • Share with your academic adviser that you are interested in studying abroad at each advising appointment. Together, identify the best terms to go abroad, based on your academic plan.
  • If you are planning to go abroad for a semester or longer, you need to start planning early to accommodate courses only taught during the fall or spring semester.

When is the best time to go abroad?

Some CFANS degrees have more flexibility than others. Some of the most popular terms for CFANS students to go abroad are Winter Break, May Session, Fall Semester, and Spring Semester, but with early planning, most CFANS students can go abroad at any point during their academic career.

Who will advise me and help me with approvals?

Learning Abroad Center advisers can help you find program and course information to help you prepare for your study abroad planning discussion with your academic adviser. Sending an email ahead of time, with information on the courses that you plan to take abroad will help your academic adviser in determining course equivalencies and approvals. To meet with your academic adviser, schedule an appointment with the CFANS Advising Center.

What do I do with the Academic Planning for Study Abroad (APSA) Form? Who signs it?

Record these discussions by using an Academic Planning for Study Abroad (APSA) Form. Students should be aware that they will need to obtain signatures from their academic adviser first and the major coordinator second.

How do I get approval for Liberal Education requirements?

Those looking to apply study abroad credits to the University's Liberal Education requirements should decide early on which requirements they want to satisfy through courses take abroad, so they aren't fulfilled on campus.

Students can search the U Credit Abroad system to select from more than 2,000 study abroad courses that have already been pre-approved for liberal education requirements. They may also submit any liberal education courses that have not yet been evaluated for approval online.

How do I get approval for major or minor requirements?

Students looking to complete major or minor requirements abroad should meet with their academic adviser.

If you are a University Honors Program student, be sure to check with your UHP adviser regarding Honors Experience Requirements.

What is the International Agriculture minor?

CFANS recognizes the international nature of global food and agricultural systems as well as the interdependence of environmental systems. The minor provides students an opportunity to integrate coursework in agricultural sciences; area, cultural, and language studies; plus an overseas experience. Students select course work independently or through package programs available through the Learning Abroad Center. For more information, contact Paul Porter.