One of the nation’s oldest, largest, and most reputable study abroad providers, IES is a Chicago, IL-based, not-for-profit organization that enrolls more than 5,000 students annually, offering quality study abroad programs in Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceania, and South America.
This is an affiliate program. You receive resident credit for the courses you take. Your grades factor into your University of Minnesota GPA and each course appears on your transcript with an A/F grade. Consult the Learning Abroad Center's Academic Policies for more information.
Affiliate organizations and partner universities will not accept applications from UMTC students without the endorsement of the Learning Abroad Center. Students must participate in affiliate organization and partner university programs through the standard Learning Abroad Center application process.
Semester & Academic-Year Programs
If you have less than 2 years college-level German language ability, you will choose from a wide variety of courses taught in English. Those with advanced German skills may enroll in regular German language courses at the University of Vienna. Internships are available in business and public service; field experience is available. Instruction is in English and German by Austrian and Eastern European faculty.
A special music program is available at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, which offers courses in music history, theory and performance studies, among many other subjects. The summer program is designed for music performance majors and music history majors. You can choose from German language, music history, or performance studies.
Typical credits: 30 for academic year; 15 for fall or spring semester; 6–9 for summer session.
Finding Course Information
Visit your affiliate's website for program dates and application deadlines.
Orientation Dates & Locations
Orientation will consist of:
- Online health & safety orientation - This asynchronous module can be accessed in your LAC checklist and is mandatory for all students.
- LAC affiliate orientation (live Zoom session) - UofM-specific information will be covered (academic planning, finances, etc.). Details on the LAC affiliate orientation will be sent to students via email.
- Affiliate provider orientation - This orientation will cover program-specific information. Your affiliate provider will invite you to a pre-departure orientation leading up to your departure.
Understand it is your responsibility to review the information shared at these orientations.
University of Minnesota participants pay the program fee instead of on-campus tuition and fees for the term they are abroad.
How to Calculate the Total Program Fee
To calculate your total program fee
Find your Affiliate program fee
For more specific information about fees, visit the IES website.
Refer to the Affiliate Program Fees. Follow instructions on that page to determine your APAAC.
Add International Health Insurance
You will be billed approximately $2/day for your international health insurance.
Subtract Affiliate Fee Reduction
Visit the Affiliate Program Fees to determine the fee reduction you receive for being a University of Minnesota student.
What Is the APAAC?
Students participating on affiliated programs are charged a program fee that is inclusive of the affiliate's program fee, University of Minnesota Advising, Placement, Academic, and Administrative Costs (APAAC), and international health insurance. The APAAC covers:
- Application processing
- Advising services, orientation
- Course registration
- Grade transfer and posting for resident credit
- Program billing and assistance with financial aid (when applicable)
Based on these additional services and benefits, the total program fee may be higher than the affiliate's published program fee.
Billing & Payments
Visit Billing for information about the billing process for application fees, deposits, and program fees.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Visit Financial Information for information on using financial aid and scholarships for study abroad.
Each of our affiliated programs awards its own array of scholarships. While many are need-based, others are based on merit, location, academic area, or diversity criteria. Explore your options within specific affiliates' scholarship pages.
Before you apply to or confirm your participation on this program, review the Learning Abroad Center's Cancellation Policy to inform yourself of the timeline and financial obligations for canceling
Complete pre-application advising.
You will be charged a $50 application fee for each application you submit.
If your program and term does not appear in the drop-down list of available programs, select ‘IES—Other Programs Not Listed Here’ and complete the application item ‘Affiliate Program Information’ found in your application checklist.
In addition to completing the LAC application, submit to IES:
- IES Online Application
Detailed descriptions and instructions for submitting each checklist item are included on the application checklist assigned to you.
Once both applications are complete, we can electronically complete the Home School Authorization form on your IES Application.
- Upon submitting the online application, you will receive an automated email message indicating your application was received.
- Follow the instructions on your application checklist to submit all of the items. Your application is not considered complete until all items on your application checklist are either received or waived.
- Complete the affiliate program's application requirements as applicable.
- Your completed application is reviewed by our program team. If nominated for participation, the Learning Abroad Center contacts the affiliate's staff to notify them of your status.
- You will be notified of an admission decision by email. If admitted, you will be assigned a confirmation checklist. Log in to the online application to review the confirmation checklist and submit the required items.
- Do not pay the affiliate’s confirmation deposit. The affiliate accepts the Learning Abroad Center’s deposit as indication of confirmation. The Learning Abroad Center deposit is submitted by completing the Confirmation and Payment Agreement found on the confirmation checklist assigned to you.
- If you decide not to continue with the application process, log in to the online application and submit a Cancel Request. You must also notify your affiliate of your cancellation.
For further information or questions about this program, send an email to