Do I Need a Study Abroad Cost Estimate (SACE)?
If you are a University of Minnesota-Twin Cities undergraduate student and plan to use financial aid to study abroad, you must request an official Study Abroad Cost Estimate (SACE) from the Learning Abroad Center and submit it to the Office of Student Finance in 333 Bruininks Hall. The SACE documents all financial aid-eligible costs of your study abroad program and is used to adjust your cost of attendance.
Who should NOT use this SACE process?
- Non-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities students – Inquire with your home institution for guidance on accessing financial aid abroad.
- Students participating on the Carlson School's Global Enrichment or Global Immersion programs—Request a SACE directly from the Carlson Global Institute.
- Students participating in a nonaffiliated program or directed study
- Students going abroad for research or other activities outside of a study abroad program
- Students using scholarships only—In most cases, if you are only using scholarships (and do not wish to receive loans or grants), you will not need a SACE. Learning Abroad Center scholarships do not require a SACE in order to access the funds.
When to Request a SACE
You may request a SACE anytime after you have uploaded your Confirmation and Payment Agreement form to your checklist. For this reason, you are strongly encouraged to schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting before requesting a SACE. The Preview Meeting will give you a sense of how much financial aid you are eligible for prior to financially committing to the program.
Timeline & Next Steps
Allow up to two weeks to receive your SACE via email (6–8 weeks if you submit a request before our batch processing begins for that term). Requests received after the deadline may take up to 6–8 weeks to process.
||Deadline to Request SACE
||SACEs processed beginning
|Fall Semester or Academic Year
|| June 1
|Winter Break (including programs with Fall or Spring on-campus courses that go abroad over Winter Break)
|Spring Semester or Calendar Year
|May Session (including programs with a Spring on-campus course that go abroad over May session)
Your SACE will be emailed to you. Once you receive it, carefully review the document for accuracy and then forward a copy to the financial aid counselor in the Office of Student Finance whom you met with for your Financial Aid Preview Meeting. If you did not have a Financial Aid Preview Meeting before you receive your SACE, you will need to schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor to submit your SACE.
Graduate students should submit their SACE to Mee Vang and Brian Olson in the Office of Student Finance.
Request a SACE
If you have not completed a Financial Aid Preview Meeting, please do so before completing this form.
You may not request a SACE until you have submitted your Confirmation and Payment Agreement form to your LAC checklist. If you have a special circumstance, contact your LAC program adviser.