Request a SACE

Request a SACE

Do I need a SACE?

If you are a University of Minnesota-Twin Cities undergraduate* student and plan to use financial aid to study abroad, you must request an official Study Abroad Cost Estimate (SACE) from the Learning Abroad Center and submit it to the Office of Student Finance in 333 Bruininks Hall. The SACE documents all financial aid-eligible costs of your study abroad program and is used to adjust your cost of attendance.

You may request a SACE anytime after you have uploaded your Confirmation and Payment Agreement form to your checklist. For this reason, you are strongly encouraged to schedule a Financial Aid Preview Meeting before requesting a SACE. The Preview Meeting will give you a sense of how much financial aid you are eligible for prior to financially committing to the program.  

*Graduate students do not complete a Preview Meeting, but instead should contact Jim Parker directly.

Note: Do not use the form below if you are a non-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities student. Inquire with your home institution for guidance on accessing financial aid abroad.

Note: Students participating on the Carlson School's Global Enrichment or Global Immersion programs must request a SACE directly from the Carlson Global Institute.

Exception for Scholarship-Only Students

In most cases, if you are only using scholarships (and do not wish to receive loans or grants), you will not need a SACE. Learning Abroad Center scholarships do not require a SACE in order to access the funds.

How to request a SACE

Complete the form below to request a SACE. Allow up to two weeks to receive your SACE via email.  Requests received after the deadline may take up to 6-8 weeks to process.

If you are studying abroad during:

- fall semester or academic year, request your SACE no later than June 1.

- spring semester or calendar year, request your SACE no later than December 1.

- May or summer term, request your SACE no later than May 1.


If you have not completed a Financial Aid Preview Meeting, please do so before completing this form.

* Indicates Required Field

Personal Information

Why do I need to maintain US health insurance while abroad?

Program Information

Enter in your first choice for housing, even if you have not yet been assigned. Enter "standard" if your program only offers one housing option.

Financial Information