group of U of M Students in front of a windmill in Spain

Learning Abroad in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies: Korean Language and Culture Concentration

    Department Recommendations

    Familiarize yourself with the graduation requirements for the ALL major or minor

    Program Selection

    There are three basic types of programs

    • Host-University Study Programs:  programs in which students enroll in a university alongside students from the host country
    • Study Center Programs:  programs in which students take classes in an institute or a center for foreign students
    • Study Center Programs with a university component:  programs that combine courses in a center for foreign students with the option of taking courses in a university with native speakers

    Best Time to Go Abroad

    • ALL majors and minors may study abroad at any time during their academic career.
    • ALL, however, recommends that you complete the equivalent of the first two years of language study before studying abroad. Students benefit the most learning abroad in their 3rd year and above.
    • ALL does not recommend studying abroad during the final semester of your senior year unless you have completed ALL 4901W. Consult with the ALL adviser and the Director of Language Instruction in advance if you are planning to do so.

    Meet With the ALL Academic Adviser

    • Determine what type of abroad coursework can be used in your major or minor.
    • Determine how your coursework will be evaluated upon your return.
    • Complete the Academic Planning Form for Study Abroad (APSA) to structure and document your discussion at least a month prior to your departure.
    • Be sure to list more courses on the APSA form than what you will actually take abroad in case a particular course or schedule may not be available on-site.
    • While abroad, notify your ALL adviser via email to any changes in your onsite registration (credit, course content, new course needing approval, etc.)

    Fulfill Academic Requirements

    Liberal Education Requirements

    Major and Minor Requirements

    • ALL Major: It is possible to earn language credit (third year and above) and up to 3  electives through learning abroad coursework.
    • ALL Minor: It is possible to earn advanced language credit (third year or above) or one elective through learning abroad coursework.
    • Study abroad coursework may also be used to fulfill the Group B or C coursework requirement for the major.
    • Study abroad coursework cannot be used to fulfill the five ALL-designated courses or the major project (ALL 4901W).
    • Elective coursework may be taken in English or Korean.
    • Study abroad resident or transfer credit may be applied toward major and minor requirements as long as the grades are taken on an A/F grade base.
    • Coursework most similar to ALL-designator courses have the greatest likelihood of being approved for the major/minor. For example, a Korean literature/language/culture course may be approved, but a Korean accounting or science course will not be approved. 
    • Most coursework will need to be petitioned upon return.  A meeting with your ALL adviser prior to departure, which is required, can help increase the likelihood of your coursework abroad being approved for major or minor requirements.

    Language Coursework

    • When taking language coursework abroad, you will work with the program to determine your Korean language course level. This may involve a written placement exam, oral exam, and/or writing sample. Keep in mind that you cannot receive credit for a class that duplicates what you have already taken on campus.
    • If you are not satisfied with the level in which you have placed, notify the on-site staff, your ALL academic adviser, and your Learning Abroad Center program adviser immediately.
    • Prerequisite (first and second year) language coursework taken abroad may not be used to fulfill ALL major/minor requirements.

    Upon Return

    • It is crucial to retain all coursework materials from the classes you take abroad, including all syllabi, textbooks, papers, tests, projects and presentation handouts.  These materials will be reviewed by the department to determine the applicability of study abroad coursework to the major or minor.
    • Consult with the ALL academic adviser to determine:
      • appropriate placement into your next language course upon return.
      • completion of the language requirement for the major.
      • whether a placement exam is required to apply credit toward your ALL major or minor
    • Because of the sequencing of ALL language courses, you may not be able to enroll in the next language level immediately after returning from abroad.
    • Your APAS record will not be updated until your study abroad grades post to your transcript.

    Scholarship Opportunities

    University of Minnesota

    • The Learning Abroad Center offers at least three scholarships for which  ALL students pursuing study abroad may be eligible.  In addition, some affiliate programs, including CET offer scholarships for students participating on their programs.
    • The College of Liberal Arts offers scholarships that may be used for study abroad, including the Lawrence scholarship specifically for ALL students.
    • The Institute for Global Studies at the University of Minnesota is offering Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships in African, Asian and International Studies.  The competition is open to undergraduate, graduate and professional degree students to study a modern, less-commonly-taught language (LCTL) in combination with an area studies course.  Travel to countries on the US State Department travel warning list are not eligible for FLAS funding. 

    National Scholarships

    • The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program (gives preference to students studying in Asia, Africa, Middle East, Latin America) offers grants to U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. 
    • Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad.  Boren Scholars represent a variety of academic backgrounds, provide up to $20,000 to US undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to US interests.
    • Critical Language Scholarship Program (CLSP) is a program of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs to expand the number of Americans studying and mastering critical foreign languages. 
    • Fulbright supports one year of study, research, creative work, or English teaching in one of approximately 130 foreign countries. Applicants must be U.S. citizens with the majority of their undergraduate education in the U.S. Seniors, recent graduates and graduate students may apply. Campus contact for undergraduates and recent graduates:


    Asia & Oceania

    South Korea

    University Study in South Korea: Korea University

    • Korea University, located in Seoul, teaches many courses in English as a strategy to position Koreans for the global workforce; study abroad students take courses alongside Korean students. 
    • An extremely broad range of courses are offered, many focused specifically on Korean and Asian history, languages & cultures.
    • Many courses taught in English; no prior Korean is required. Korean-taught courses available for students with sufficient proficiency. Fall or spring semester, academic year, or summer terms available.  

    Additional Options to Consider

    Global Seminars

    • Three-week programs led by University of Minnesota faculty, have no prerequisites, are open to freshmen, and fulfill one or more Liberal Education requirements.
    • A Global Seminar early in your undergraduate experience can give you plenty of time to follow up with a longer study abroad experience later.

    Non-Credit Programs

    • An alternative or complement to study abroad.
    • Explore new interests or gain experience related to your field of study.
    • Consider paid and unpaid opportunities offered throughout the year at locations around the globe. 

    Student Experiences

    Visit the Learning Abroad Center's Student Experiences web page for details on other students' experiences studying abroad