Learning Abroad Center

Passports & Visas

It is important for you to obtain the appropriate travel documents for your time abroad. Although the Learning Abroad Center does not issue passports or visas, there are a number of helpful resources available to help you obtain these important travel documents.

What Is a Passport?

A passport is a document issued by your national government proving your identity and nationality. Almost all international travel requires that you have and carry a passport. For citizens of the United States, passports are issued by the US Department of State and provides many uses:

  • When presented abroad, it is a request to foreign governments to permit you to travel or temporarily reside in their territories and access all lawful local aid and protection.
  • It allows you access to US Consular services and assistance while abroad.
  • It allows you to re-enter the United States upon your return home.

For most international travel, a passport must be valid for at least 6 months after re-entry to the United States.

How Do I Apply for a Passport?

You can apply for a passport and have passport and visa photos taken at the UofM Passport Office located in the University International Center on the East Bank. You can find other& locations using the US State Department's Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page. First-time applicants should follow the instructions listed on the US State Department's How to Apply for a Passport. Applicants must bring their completed application, photos, required documents, and forms of payment to apply.


For information regarding visas and the support offered by the Learning Abroad Center, refer to our page on visas.