Housing Before/After You Go Abroad
Release from a UofM Housing & Residential Life Contract
If you have a housing contract through the University of Minnesota's Housing & Residential Life, residents participating on a Learning Abroad program may be granted a release from their contract during the contract period without financial penalty, subject to proper documentation. Contact Housing & Residential Life for more information.
Resources for Finding a Roommate- The UofM Off-Campus Living office provides a free service that allows you to search for other UMN students looking for roommates or to seek out someone to sublet an existing lease. It also manages a Facebook for enrolled UofM students only to help you find a roommate or sublet option.
Housing & Residential Life: Off-Campus Housing Listing Service- View available off-campus housing options near the University of Minnesota - Twin Cites campus. All landlords listed here have been reviewed by Student Legal Services. Also has helpful resources for students new to off-campus housing.
Tips for Subleasing
- Check your lease for subletting requirements and get your landlord's approval.
- If you have roommates, get their consent.
- Use a written sublease agreement and give the sublessee a copy of the lease.
- Use caution when using website classifieds such as Craigslist; beware of risks of posting personal information and avoid entering into transactions without meeting in person.
- Find someone trustworthy to sublet, you are still ultimately responsible for any damages or unpaid rent.
- Talk to other students who have gone abroad. How did they handle subleasing?