Learning Abroad Center

Your Housing in MN

Housing Before/After You Go Abroad

Release from a UofM Housing & Residential Life Contract

If you have a housing contract through the University of Minnesota's Housing & Residential Life, residents participating on a Learning Abroad program may be granted a release from their contract during the contract period without financial penalty, subject to proper documentation.  Contact Housing & Residential Life for more information.  

Subleasing Resources

Resources for Finding a Roommate- The UofM Off-Campus Living office provides a free service that allows you to search for other UMN students looking for roommates or to seek out someone to sublet an existing lease.  It also manages a Facebook for enrolled UofM students only to help you find a roommate or sublet option.

Housing & Residential Life: Off-Campus Housing Listing Service- View available off-campus housing options near the University of Minnesota - Twin Cites campus. All landlords listed here have been reviewed by Student Legal Services. Also has helpful resources for students new to off-campus housing. 

Tips for Subleasing

  • Check your lease for subletting requirements and get your landlord's approval.
  • If you have roommates, get their consent.
  • Use a written sublease agreement and give the sublessee a copy of the lease.
  • Use caution when using website classifieds such as Craigslist; beware of risks of posting personal information and avoid entering into transactions without meeting in person.
  • Find someone trustworthy to sublet, you are still ultimately responsible for any damages or unpaid rent.
  • Talk to other students who have gone abroad. How did they handle subleasing?

Contact Student Legal Services for further housing questions.
160 West Bank Skyway
219 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
[email protected]