The Learning Abroad Center’s President’s Emerging Scholars Fund the Gap Scholarship provides awards for University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on credit-bearing study abroad programs.
This scholarship is intended to:
- increase the number of PES students participating in semester-long study abroad programs
- make study abroad more accessible to PES students who wouldn’t otherwise participate by making the cost of a program the same as or close to the cost of attendance on campus
The PES Fund the Gap scholarship is not merit based and awards are granted based on the strength of a student’s essay and expressed interest in study abroad opportunities. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campuses at the time of applying and during the term abroad.
- Must be active in the President’s Emerging Scholars program.
- Award can only be used for a credit-bearing study abroad program during fall semester or spring semester of the following academic year.
- Semester-long programs offered by the Learning Abroad Center, affiliates, Carlson Global Institute, and UofM colleges/department programs offered through the Learning Abroad Center are eligible. Nonaffiliated programs are not eligible.
- The PES Fund the Gap Scholarship cannot be combined with other Learning Abroad Center scholarships, except I-UROP.
- Recipients must participate in required activities during Spring semester to help them prepare to apply for a program.
- Demonstrated effort in preparing for study abroad (e.g. completing a First Step session, meeting with a Learning Abroad Center adviser, meeting with academic adviser or PES peer mentor to discuss study abroad, etc.)
How will a study abroad experience contribute to your academic learning and personal growth? What skills and experience do you hope to gain from studying abroad and how do they relate to your career goals? (500 word max)
Essays will be evaluated based on:
- how thoroughly you answer the specific essay question
- how well written your essay is in terms of grammar, punctuation, and organization
Deadlines, Terms, & Award Amounts
We will not be offering new awards for the 2021-2022 academic year. We continue to work with students who have already been awarded a Fund the Gap scholarship to plan a future study abroad experience.
We hope to offer new Fund the Gap awards for the 2022-2023 academic year. For more details, check back closer to the planned application deadline, October 2021.
|Term of Study
|October 15, 2019
||Late November 2019
October 15, 2019
Late November 2019
Submit Your Application
- Check the scholarship deadline for the term you will be studying abroad.
- Begin filling out your scholarship application and essay and submit via the Learning Abroad Center Online Scholarship Portal.
Applications are due by 11:59pm on the posted deadline. All applicants will be notified via email by the posted date. Paper, faxed, or emailed applications will not be accepted