The Learning Abroad Center’s President’s Emerging Scholars Fund the Gap Scholarship provides awards for University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on credit-bearing study abroad programs.
This scholarship is intended to:
- increase the number of PES students participating in semester-long study abroad programs
- make study abroad more accessible to PES students who wouldn’t otherwise participate by making the cost of a program the same as or close to the cost of attendance on campus
The PES Fund the Gap scholarship is not merit based and awards are granted based on the strength of a student’s essay and expressed interest in study abroad opportunities. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campus.
- Must be active in the President’s Emerging Scholars program who haven't already studied abroad.
- Award can only be used for a credit-bearing study abroad program during fall semester or spring semester of the following academic year.
- Semester-long programs offered by the Learning Abroad Center, affiliates, and UofM colleges/department programs offered through the Learning Abroad Center are eligible. Nonaffiliated and directed study programs are not eligible.
- The PES Fund the Gap Scholarship cannot be combined with other Learning Abroad Center scholarships, except I-UROP.
- Recipients must participate in required activities during Spring semester to help them prepare to apply for a program
How will your academic and career goals be promoted by this study abroad opportunity and this scholarship?
(500 word max)
- “Academic” goals do not need to be related to your major; we are looking for you to describe how the program coursework and/or components are relevant to your goals.
- Regardless of what type of goal(s) you are focusing on, explain how your goal(s) enhances intellectual learning.
Essays will be evaluated based on:
how thoroughly you answer the specific essay question
how well written your essay is in terms of grammar, punctuation, and organization
Deadlines & Terms
|Term of Study||Deadline Date ||Notification Date|
|October 14, 2017
||November 6, 2017
October 14, 2017
November 6, 2017
All applicants will be notified via email by the posted date.
Awards will cover the difference between the estimated resident-rate cost of attendance for an undergraduate living in a residence hall/apartment and the total cost of participating in a program (program fee plus additional estimated expenses) up to $6,000.
Exact award amount will be determined when official UofM cost of attendance is published in the summer and when program fees are finalized.
How to submit your application:
- Check the scholarship deadline for the term you will be studying abroad.
- Begin filling out your scholarship application and essay and submit via the Learning Abroad Center Online Scholarship Portal.
- The application portal is currently closed. Applications for Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 programs will open in September 2018 and the deadline will be in November 2018.
*Paper, faxed, or emailed applications will not be accepted