The Learning Abroad Center’s President’s Emerging Scholars Fund the Gap Scholarship provides awards for University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on credit-bearing study abroad programs.
This scholarship is intended to:
- increase the number of PES students participating in semester-long study abroad programs
- make study abroad more accessible to PES students who wouldn’t otherwise participate by making the cost of a program the same as or close to the cost of attendance on campus
The PES Fund the Gap scholarship is not merit based and awards are granted based on the strength of a student’s essay and expressed interest in study abroad opportunities. Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate student on the Twin Cities or Rochester campus.
- Must be active in the President’s Emerging Scholars program who haven't already studied abroad.
- Award can only be used for a credit-bearing study abroad program during fall semester or spring semester of the following academic year.
- Semester-long programs offered by the Learning Abroad Center, affiliates, and UofM colleges/department programs offered through the Learning Abroad Center are eligible. Nonaffiliated and Carlson Global Institute programs are not eligible.
- The PES Fund the Gap Scholarship cannot be combined with other Learning Abroad Center scholarships, except I-UROP.
- Recipients must participate in required activities during Spring semester to help them prepare to apply for a program.
- Demonstrated effort in preparing for study abroad (e.g. completing a First Step session, meeting with a Learning Abroad Center adviser, meeting with academic adviser or PES peer mentor to discuss study abroad, etc.)
How will a study abroad experience contribute to your academic learning and personal growth? What skills and experience do you hope to gain from studying abroad and how do they relate to your career goals? (500 word max)
Essays will be evaluated based on:
- how thoroughly you answer the specific essay question
- how well written your essay is in terms of grammar, punctuation, and organization
Deadlines, Terms, & Award Amounts
|Term of Study
|October 15, 2019
||Late November 2019
October 15, 2019
Late November 2019
Applications are due by 11:59pm on the posted deadline.
All applicants will be notified via email by the posted date.
Submit Your Application
- Check the scholarship deadline for the term you will be studying abroad.
- Begin filling out your scholarship application and essay and submit via the Learning Abroad Center Online Scholarship Portal.
*Paper, faxed, or emailed applications will not be accepted