The ICLP Taiwan Summer Chinese Flagship program is an intensive Chinese language program based at National Taiwan University. It is only open to Chinese Flagship students.
This is an affiliate program. You receive resident credit for the courses you take. Your grades factor into your University of Minnesota GPA and each course appears on your transcript with an A/F grade. Consult the Learning Abroad Center's Academic Policies for more information.
The International Chinese Language Program (ICLP), based at National Taiwan University (NTU) in Taipei, Taiwan, provides intensive Chinese language instruction in a Mandarin-speaking environment. Consult the University of Minnesota's Chinese Flagship program website for more details on eligibility. The University of MInnesota's department of Asian Languages & Literatures (ALL) works directly with advising students about the application process for this program. Contact our campus Chinese Flagship adviser Claudia Hasegawa for more details about the program, the application process, and how it can fulfill the Chinese Flagship summer study abroad requirement.
Students enroll in 8-10 semester credits during the 9-week program. Coursework consists of a combination of a:
Speaking and listening class
Reading and writing class
The Asian & Middle Eastern Studies department will determine the equivalency of coursework taken abroad to Chinese coursework offered on the UMTC campus.
Orientation Dates & Locations
Orientation will be conducted in 2 parts: an online orientation, which is mandatory for all students, and an in-person session. You will receive more information about the online orientation via email. Failure to complete the online orientation will impact your ability to go abroad.
The date for the in-person Fall semester 2020 & Academic Year 2020-2021 orientation session is as follows:
University of Minnesota participants pay the program fee instead of on-campus tuition and fees for the term they are abroad.
How to Calculate the Total Program Fee
To calculate your total program fee
Find your Affiliate program fee
To locate ICLP Taiwan's published program fees, visit their cost information page for the ICLP Flagship Summer program.
Refer to the Affiliate Program Fees. Follow instructions on that page to determine your APAAC.
Add International Health Insurance
Multiply the number of months you will be away by $45.
Subtract Affiliate Fee Reduction
Visit the Affiliate Program Fees to determine the fee reduction you receive for being a University of Minnesota student.
What Is the APAAC?
Students participating on affiliated programs are charged a program fee that is inclusive of the affiliate's program fee, University of Minnesota Advising, Placement, Academic, and Administrative Costs (APAAC) and international health insurance.The APAAC covers:
- application processing
- advising services, orientation
- course registration
- grade transfer and posting for resident credit
- program billing and assistance with financial aid (when applicable)
Based on these additional services and benefits, the total program fee may be higher than the affiliate's published program fee.
Billing & Payments
Visit Billing for information about the billing process for application fees, deposits, and program fees.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Visit Financial Information for information on using financial aid and scholarships for study abroad.
Before you apply to or confirm your participation on this program, review the Learning Abroad Center's Cancellation Policy to inform yourself of the timeline and financial obligations for canceling
Complete pre-application advising.
You will be charged a $50 application fee for each application you submit.
After you submit your application, you will receive an email notification confirming that your application was received. Submitted applications are assigned an application checklist, which will include the following items:
Submit directly to ICLP:
- ICLP Summer Flagship application (note this is different from the standard ICLP summer program and has a separate application)
Note: This is a Learning Abroad Center program that is offered in partnership with ICLP. You will complete application materials for the Learning Abroad Center and receive follow-up information from ICLP. Detailed descriptions and instructions for submitting each checklist item are included on the application checklist assigned to you. You will return confirmation materials to the office that requested them (Learning Abroad Center or ICLP).
Once your application checklist is complete, your application is reviewed by ICLP. You will be notified of an acceptance decision by ICLP. If accepted, you will be assigned a confirmation checklist, which you will complete to confirm your participation in the program. If at any point you decide not to continue with the application process, login to the Education Abroad Application System and submit a cancelation request.
- Upon submitting the online application, you will receive an automated email message indicating your application was received.
- Follow the instructions on your application checklist to submit all of the items. Your application is not considered complete until all items on your application checklist are either received or waived.
- Complete the affiliate program's application requirements as applicable.
- Your completed application is reviewed by our program team. If nominated for participation, the Learning Abroad Center contacts the affiliate's staff to notify them of your status.
- You will be notified of an acceptance decision by email. If accepted, you will be assigned a confirmation checklist. Log in to the online application to review the confirmation checklist and submit the required items.
- Do not pay the affiliate’s confirmation deposit. The affiliate accepts the Learning Abroad Center’s deposit as indication of confirmation. The Learning Abroad Center deposit is submitted by completing the Confirmation and Payment Agreement found on the confirmation checklist assigned to you.
- If you decide not to continue with the application process, log in to the online application and submit a Cancel Request. You must also notify your affiliate of your cancellation.
For further information or questions about this program, send an email to