"Non-Embedded (Fully Abroad)": a course for which all of the instructional contact hours take place abroad
"Embedded": a course for which some of the instructional contact hours take place on campus at the UMN, and some of the instructional contact hours take place abroad
1. The Instructor/Program Leader works with the Learning Abroad Center to initiate the program.
2. The Department Scheduler receives an email from the Learning Abroad Center with course details for the program.
3. The Departmental Scheduler schedules the course(s) in CCS as usual, but includes the following study abroad parameters:
Basic Data tab
Session: Select the appropriate session based on the program dates
Section: 500 - 510
Associated Class: Same as section number
Location: Off Campus
Instruction Mode: Study Abroad (SA)
Schedule Print: Uncheck
Student Specific Permissions: Uncheck
Start/End Date: Enter the program dates
ID: Enter Instructor EmplID
Enrollment Ctrl tab
Class Status: Active
Add Consent: No Special Consent Required
Drop consent: No Special Consent Required
Enrollment Capacity: Enter expected enrollment total
4. The Departmental Scheduler submits course section information to the Learning Abroad Center.
5. The Learning Abroad Center verifies course information.
6. The Learning Abroad Center Communicates Registration Details to Students.
When scheduling Embedded program courses, colleges/departments should NOT use 5xx-level class sections. The rest of the parameters should follow what the college/department would typically do for regular classes.
Non-Embedded/Fully Abroad - The Learning Abroad Center (LAC) will email each student confirmed on the program with instructions on how to register, including course designator and number, section number, 5-digit registration code, around the opening of the registration queue for the term or once the course is scheduled, whichever happens later.
Embedded - The course can be found in the online UMN class schedule. Information can also be obtained from the program leader and/or the LAC program contact.
Non-Embedded/Fully Abroad - Non-Embedded study abroad classes should be completely scheduled by the department/college no later than the deadlines listed below for each term.
Fall Programs: March 1
Winter Break Programs: October 1
Spring Programs: October 1
May / Summer Programs: February 1
Embedded - Embedded study abroad classes should follow what the college/department would typically do for regular classes.
You can work with the LAC staff member that serves as your contact for this program on all questions, and they will consult with the appropriate LAC staff as needed. Alternatively you can contact the Learning Abroad Center's Academic Services team at email@example.com.