UofM Students

Green Card Holders

Permanent resident (green card) students traveling abroad for University study can find it difficult to navigate the ins-and-outs of the Visa/Passport process. This page briefly describes the process for students traveling on programs of one year or shorter. If there is anything that is not clear, the student should contact their local US passport agency and the consulate of the host nation for further clarification.

University of Minnesota students on non-immigrant visas—such as the F-1 or J-1 visa—should consult with International Student and Scholars Services (ISSS) before pursuing a study abroad program at 612.626.7100.

Be sure that you have the proper documentation to both enter your specific country of travel and return to the US.

Note: Prices and other information presented here were based on requirements available at the time of publication. All information is subject to change at any time. Always review the most current official documents and websites, and rely on those specific details over anything presented here.

USA Re-Entry

For students who hold a green card AND passport from their home country of citizenship (non-US):

For students who hold a green card but DO NOT HAVE passport from their home country of citizenship:

The I-131 “Application for Travel Document”

Entry to the Host Country

Entry to a host country for US Permanent Residents is different for each country. Students must call the Consulate General of the host country in which you are studying abroad for more information. See the full list of Foreign Consular Offices in the US. More information and forms can also be found.