group of U of M Students in front of a windmill in Spain

International Travel, Health & Security Insurance


    The University of Minnesota (all campuses) requires that students obtain mandatory international travel, health and security insurance, through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), for all education abroad opportunities. Most students on University of Minnesota and affiliated programs through the Learning Abroad Center and education abroad offices on their respective campus are enrolled in the insurance plan automatically. The cost of this insurance is most often included in the program fee or arrangements can be made by the student to purchase the insurance individually at the Learning Abroad Center or education abroad office on their respective campus.

    The Learning Abroad Center will provide students with a detailed policy description defining all items covered and not covered along with an insurance card prior to your departure. For a few programs (generally, those which include country specific national insurance), you will receive the additional insurance information onsite. See CISI International Insurance Guidelines for more information.

    The travel, health and security insurance coverage through CISI is specifically exempt from the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and was not intended to and does not satisfy a person’s obligation to secure minimum essential coverage beginning in 2014 under the ACA. The University encourages travelers to consult with their legal counsel or tax adviser for information on their obligations under the ACA.

    The University of Minnesota also requires students maintain their US health insurance whenever enrolled, including while on education abroad opportunities. See US Health Insurance Requirement.

    Students Not Working With the Learning Abroad Center

    All University of Minnesota students are required to obtain CISI insurance for any international travel for University purposes as per the University's policy Student Travel and Education Abroad: Health and Safety. To fulfill the requirements if you are not participating in a program offered by the Learning Abroad Center or education abroad office on your campus, you will enroll in the insurance plan as part of the required student international travel registration process. See International Travel Registry for Students instructions. 

    For those students traveling abroad for personal or non-University purposes, review Insurance for Personal or Non-University Travel when purchasing your own coverage.

    CISI International Travel, Health and Security Insurance Policy Details

    Review the complete details regarding current CISI Policy Details.

    If you will spend extra time overseas before or after your program, we strongly encourage you to purchase adequate insurance to cover that time. CISI will allow students, staff and faculty to purchase up to 30 days of insurance beyond the dates of the University of Minnesota coverage. You can contact CISI directly to add additional coverage time after receiving your insurance card for the program dates.

    Go Safe

    Program Health & Safety information is available at