COVID-19 Social Distancing Protocols
Our study centers around the world will comply with local public health recommendations as well as recommended standards of the University of Minnesota.
- Double rooms are allowed; single rooms may require an additional cost.
- Homestays are not available for fall and winter break.
- Minimize other program participants from entering your room; don’t allow outside program guests in the housing.
- You will quarantine at the beginning of the program based on local government guidelines.
- Budget for unforeseen expenses (additional housing, transportation, meals, international flight change) in case you must also quarantine after your program ends.
Orientation, Classrooms, Site Visits, & Internships
- Portions of orientation will take place virtually, if possible.
- Chairs will be spaced at least 6 feet apart and outdoor spaces will be prioritized.
- Patient-facing health internship placements are currently suspended; health internships without patient interaction (e.g., education, advocacy, and administration) are allowed.
Transportation & Personal Travel
- Flights are limited to round-trip international flights; layovers will be avoided or minimized.
- Personal travel is restricted to within the host country and subject to local and country travel restrictions; only private accommodations (no hostels) are allowed.
- Create social distancing by dining spaced out at tables or eating in shifts.
- Whenever possible, take your meals individually or in your room.
Cleaning & Good Hygiene
- Wash your hands often and before meals, with soap and water or hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol), for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a cloth mask over your nose and mouth in public places.
- Complete your vaccinations if they are available and required for entry by the host country.
Testing & Quarantine after Positive COVID Test
- CISI will likely not cover expenses of testing and care; however, most countries offer free testing.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, separate yourself from others and watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell.
- Stay home until your symptoms are better, it has been 10 days since you first felt sick, and you’ve had no fever for three days (without fever-reducing medicine).
Cancellations & Refunds
- If you decide to cancel or return early or if the program closes early, you won’t receive additional financial support.
- If the program closes early, you can receive full academic credit remotely.
- If you must quarantine or decide to return to the US before the program ends, you may attend class remotely.
Contact Zach Mohs with questions.