Our study centers around the world will comply with local public health recommendations as well as recommended standards of the University of Minnesota. These are recommended protocols as of January 2021 and are subject to change.
- Double rooms are allowed; single rooms may require an additional cost.
- Homestays are not available for winter break or spring semester programs.
- Minimize other program participants from entering your room; don’t allow outside program guests in the housing.
- You will quarantine at the beginning of the program based on local government guidelines.
- Budget for unforeseen expenses (additional housing, transportation, meals, international flight change) in case you must also quarantine after your program ends.
Orientation, Classrooms, Site Visits, & Internships
- Portions of orientation will take place virtually, if possible.
- Chairs will be spaced at least 6 feet apart and outdoor spaces will be prioritized.
- Patient-facing health internship placements are currently suspended; health internships without patient interaction (e.g., education, advocacy, and administration) are allowed.
Transportation & Personal Travel
- Flights are limited to round-trip international flights; layovers will be avoided or minimized.
- Personal travel is restricted to within the host country and subject to local and country travel restrictions; only private accommodations (no hostels) are allowed.
- Create social distancing by dining spaced out at tables or eating in shifts.
- Whenever possible, take your meals individually or in your room.
Cleaning & Good Hygiene
- Wash your hands often and before meals, with soap and water or hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol), for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a cloth mask over your nose and mouth in public places.
- Complete your vaccinations if they are available and required for entry by the host country.
Testing & Quarantine after Positive COVID Test
- CISI will likely not cover expenses of testing; however, most countries offer free testing.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, separate yourself from others and watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell.
- Stay home until your symptoms are better, it has been 10 days since you first felt sick, and you’ve had no fever for three days (without fever-reducing medicine).
Cancellations & Refunds
- If you decide to cancel or return early or if the program closes early, you won’t receive additional financial support.
- If the program closes early, you can receive full academic credit remotely.
- If you must quarantine or decide to return to the US before the program ends, you may attend class remotely.
Contact Zach Mohs with questions.