About University Study in Ireland: University of Limerick
The Republic of Ireland’s third-largest city, Limerick, boasts a Norman castle, elegant Georgian buildings, and an active music scene. For performing arts lovers, the university is home to the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance. For sporting enthusiasts, Limerick offers a wide range of sports from Gaelic games such as hurling and football to Limerick's favorite sport, rugby. It is also home to the National Coaching and Training Centre of Ireland and Ireland’s first 50-meter Olympic swimming pool.
The University of Limerick is located 3 miles outside of town, spanning two banks of the River Shannon. Considered one of Ireland’s most beautiful campuses, the university offers innovative academics, state-of-the-art sports facilities, and vibrant campus life. The house or apartment-style campus housing complexes faciliate student social life.
The University of Limerick is known as a technological powerhouse in Ireland and works closely with the nearby National Technology Park of Ireland. It is also well known for science, humanities, business, and social studies. You may choose from the university’s wide variety of courses in almost every discipline to create a broad and diverse curriculum or further study in your major.
Housing & Meals
Live on campus with other Irish and international students in apartment-style or shared houses. You will have your own room and share kitchen facilities with your flatmates or housemates. Some residences offer private, en-suite bathrooms, but in most you will share a bathroom with your roommates. There is no meal plan; you can prepare meals in the residence villages or eat at the restaurants on campus. Housing is guaranteed for students who apply by the deadline.
Extracurricular activities abound at the University of Limerick. The International Office organizes a number of off campus activities each semester. These include a special Thanksgiving dinner in the Fall and organized trips to Dublin and western Ireland tourist attractions. Many of the 60+ clubs and societies organize day and weekend trips. Student residences organize dinners, dances and other activities. Orientation will introduce you to the myriad of opportunities available, as well as facilities and registration procedures.
Students studying at the University of Limerick will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with Irish and international students and community members;
- gain appreciation of the academic culture of the Republic of Ireland and differences between the Irish and US educational systems through direct enrollment;
- gain awareness and appreciation of Irish culture through on-campus accommodation with Irish students, as well as access to a wide range of student organizations and clubs;
- become more self-reliant through immersion in a new culture and separation from familiar structures and surroundings
- become more effective at navigating differences by spending four to ten months of full integration in a foreign academic, cultural, and political climate;
- and experience Irish and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at an Irish host university.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff at the University of Limerick are accessible and supportive. Students work closely with the International Office at Limerick before and during their experience. These advising and support services are designed to help you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life.
The International Office organizes airport pick-up and an orientation for study abroad students upon arrival. You will receive information about campus facilities, clubs and the Irish educational system.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.