About University Study in the United Kingdom: Queen Mary University of London
London is one of the world's truly international cities and dominates British life as the center for government, law, business, finance, the arts, and popular culture. For its inhabitants and visitors, London offers unrivaled cultural and social opportunities.
Queen Mary's student population is representative of the cultural diversity found in London's East End – almost half of Queen Mary's 17,000 students hail from countries other than the UK. Off the tourist track but with easy access to the rest of the city, the East End allows students to become a part of a modern representation of the international community that now makes up the city.
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about the Learning Abroad Center's other University Study in the UK programs.
Housing & Meals
Live in single rooms with shared kitchen facilities in on-campus residence halls. There is the option of standard rooms (single rooms with a sink) or en-suite rooms (single rooms with private bath). You will share a floor with about six to ten other British and international students. There is no meal plan; you will generally prepare meals in the residence halls or eat at local restaurants. There is a difference in cost between standard and en-suite housing, please refer to the budget estimate and Queen Mary's Accommodations page for further details.
Queen Mary has an active social life, and visiting students are encouraged to further integrate into campus life joining one of several student clubs and organizations. Queen Mary's student union is ranked one of the best in London, and the International Office provides several optional excursions specifically for visiting students.
Students studying at Queen Mary University of London will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with British and international students and community members;
- gain appreciation of the academic culture of the UK and differences between the British and US educational systems through direct enrollment;
- gain awareness and appreciation of British culture through dorm-style placements with British students, as well as access to a wide range of student organizations and clubs;
- become more self-reliant through the experience of obtaining enrollment, housing, catering, and transportation independently;
- become more effective at navigating differences by spending four to ten months of full integration in a foreign academic, cultural, and political climate;
- and experience British and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the British host university.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty are well known for teaching excellence and student concern. Most are experts in their field and many have international experience. Queen Mary became a member of the UK's prestigious Russell Group – reserved for only the top British universities – in 2012.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.