About University Study in the United Kingdom: Northumbria University
Newcastle / Gateshead is home to Northumbria University, located in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne, a regional capital situated less than three hours from London and just one hour from Edinburgh.
More than 40,000 university students live in the Newcastle metro area (15% of the total population) making student life vibrant. Newcastle upon Tyne is renowned for nightlife, sports, festivals, entertainment, shopping and friendliness, and was voted the third-best city in Europe for nightlife in 2010 (tripadvisor.com).
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about the Learning Abroad Center's other University Study in the UK programs.
Housing & Meals
Students are placed in one of Northumbria's on-campus student residences with other international and British students.
Northumbria's student union is one of the most active in the UK, offering several on-campus events each week. Northumbria has several student societies and organizations to help students integrate into campus life.
Students studying at Northumbria University will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with British and international students and community members;
- gain appreciation of the academic culture of the UK and differences between the British and US educational systems through direct enrollment;
- gain awareness and appreciation of British culture through dorm-style placements with British students, as well as access to a wide range of student organizations and clubs;
- become more self-reliant through the experience of obtaining enrollment, housing, catering, and transportation independently;
- become more effective at navigating differences by spending four to ten months of full integration in a foreign academic, cultural, and political climate;
- and experience British and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the British host university.
Faculty & Staff
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.