About University Study in the United Kingdom: Lancaster University
Surrounded by beautiful countryside and close to the Lake District and Irish Sea, the historic city of Lancaster boasts a Norman castle, elegant Georgian buildings and cobblestone streets. Lancaster is the perfect surroundings for students seeking a more traditional English college experience.
The University of Lancaster is a highly esteemed and well respected university, annually ranked one of the Top 10 universities in the UK. Close-knit cohorts, an inviting campus, and an intellectual approach make Lancaster a particularly accepting and welcoming place to live and study.
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about the Learning Abroad Center's other University Study in the UK programs.
Housing & Meals
Students live in single rooms with their own bathroom and shared kitchen facilities in on-campus residence halls called "colleges," with other British and international students. Colleges are strong communities within the university system in Britain, making for a welcoming atmosphere.
Extracurricular activities abound at the University of Lancaster. Many of the 30 sports clubs and 80 societies organize day and weekend trips, and the International Office coordinates optional excursions for visiting students. Residence halls organize dinners, dances and other activities.
Students studying at Lancaster University will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with British and international students and community members;
- gain appreciation of the academic culture of the UK and differences between the British and US educational systems through direct enrollment;
- gain awareness and appreciation of British culture through dorm-style placements with British students, as well as access to a wide range of student organizations and clubs;
- become more self-reliant through the experience of obtaining enrollment, housing, catering, and transportation independently;
- become more effective at navigating differences by spending four to ten months of full integration in a foreign academic, cultural, and political climate;
- and experience British and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the British host university.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff at the University of Lancaster are particularly accessible and supportive, and Lancaster is consistently ranked one of the strongest academic universities in the UK.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.