Contact our Program Assistant to gain a peer's perspective:
Amy Yi is a Program Assistant for the Study & Intern in Toledo program. She is in her last year, double majoring in Global Studies and Biology with a Spanish Minor. She participated in the program in the Spring of 2017 and interned at a local nursing home called "La Residencia de Mayores en Benquerencia". During her time abroad, she lived with a family and traveled in her free time. Her best-loved memories include the loving and welcoming community and roaming the beautiful city with a rich history. Her advice to future students: "Soak up and use every single moment while you're abroad, because it flies by fast! Push yourself to talk to people and immerse yourself in the culture, even when you're tired."
Jon Alexander is a Program Assistant for the Study and Intern in Toledo program here at UMN. He is a senior with a major in Spanish Studies and a minor in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language). He was a participant of the Toledo program in the Spring of 2018. While abroad he helped teach English in a local school to students of ages ranging from 12 to 22 years old. His favorite thing about Toledo was the people because they were so nice and welcoming! His advice to future students: "No matter what happens, this experience will certainly become an incredible time of your life, but it never hurts to make friends with locals. In fact, it will enrich your experience a lot!".
JoAnn Moors is a Program Assistant for the Study & Intern in Toledo program. She is a senior majoring in Psychology and Sociology of Law, Criminology, and Deviance with a Spanish minor. She studied abroad in Toledo for the Fall of 2017. While abroad she took classes in Spanish to complete her minor and volunteered as an assistant English teacher at a local school there through her service learning class. Her favorite thing about Toledo was watching the beautiful sunsets over the city from la piedra. Her advice to future students: “Be open to doing new things and immersing yourself in the local culture! Just be there in the moment and enjoy everything because the time flies!”
Below is a list of students who also participated in past program sessions. They are ready and willing to answer your questions about this program. Feel free to contact them during your decision making process or anytime during your pre-departure preparation to get a student perspective.
- Allison Guidish, Fall 2018, Mathematics, B.A. and Spanish Studies majors, did the community engagement course
- Alejandra B, Spring 2018, Industrial and Systems Engineering and Spanish Studies majors
- Louis Chelle V, Spring 2018, Psysiology major, Public Health and Spanish minors, did the community engagement course
- Rakhiki Edpuganti, Summer 2018, Neuroscience major, Spanish minor
- Issraa E, Summer 2018, Spanish Studies major, Biology minor, did an internship abraod (Residencia de Mayores)
- Isabella S, Summer 2018, Economics and Mathematics majors, Spanish minor, did an internship abroad (YMCA)
- Cici L, Summer 2018, Marketing and Public/Nonprofit Business Management major, Spanish minor