About Summer in Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland's largest city, is a lively place to live and study. There is excellent shopping, nightlife, museums, parks and galleries. Glasgow is a friendly and welcoming multicultural city, recently voted "politest city in the UK."
Founded in 1451, the University of Glasgow consistently ranks as one of the UK's most highly-rated schools. The university is host to more than 20,000 students from over 100 countries and offers an exceptional breadth of academic choice across the physical and life sciences, social sciences and the humanities.
Started in 2014, the University of Glasgow's International Summer School offers a wide range of classes, and hosts dozens of US and international students each June and July.
Housing & Meals
For the summer progam, participants are housed in university flats. Accommodation in your own room is included. Rooms are part of self-contained flats including well-equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. Normally 4-5 other students will share the flat.
The flats are located in the University’s Student accommodation, which is within easy walking distance of both the main campus where classes will take place, and of the renowned West End of Glasgow.
In addition to some summer modules containing built-in excursions, the University of Glasgow arranges a number of social activities during the summer program.
Students studying at the University of Glasgow will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with British and international students and community members;
- gain appreciation of the academic culture of the UK and differences between the British and US educational systems through direct enrollment;
- gain awareness and appreciation of British culture through dorm-style placements with British students, as well as access to a wide range of student organizations and clubs;
- become more self-reliant through the experience of obtaining enrollment, housing, catering, and transportation independently;
- become more effective at navigating differences by spending four to ten months of full integration in a foreign academic, cultural, and political climate;
- and experience British and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the British host university.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty and staff at the University of Glasgow are some of the best in the UK. The university is a member of the Russell Group – an academic honor reserved for only the top British universities, and International Office staff assist students with all questions related to immigration, housing, academic registration, and campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.