About Exchange in Oslo
With approximately 30,000 students, the University of Oslo is Norway’s largest and oldest university. Oslo is a vibrant city surrounded by fjords, lakes, and forests. It also offers a mix of old and new architecture, museums, parks, and hills, and a variety of cultural, shopping, and sporting activities.
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about other Learning Abroad Center programs in Norway.
Housing & Meals
Semester students will live in the Kringsjå or Sogn Student Villages, located about two miles from campus, which house students from around the world. You will share a large kitchen with about five other students that includes a stove and refrigerator. Many past participants have taken the opportunity to cook dinners with other students, allowing you to meet other people and learn about other cultures.
International Summer School students will live in on-campus housing with other international students and utilize the on-campus dining hall.
The International Education Office organizes various social activities throughout the semester. There are many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors while studying in Norway. Cross-country skiing, hiking, and swimming are all popular activities. Ski equipment is available for rental. You will also have access to the Recreational Complex.
Students having participated in the Exchange in Oslo program will:
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Develop awareness of and challenge assumptions about Norwegian culture, their own culture, and how their culture is viewed by others
- Learn to function as an effective team member by appreciating and interacting with individuals different from yourself
Faculty & Staff
The International Education Office provides onsite support during the time you are in Oslo. There are also international student advisers who help you settle in and adjust to life in Oslo.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.