About University Study in Norway: University of Bergen
Bergen is the second largest city in Norway and is known as the gateway to the world-famous fjords of Norway. With approximately 17,000 students, the University of Bergen is a medium-sized university. Established in 1946, it is also known as a young and modern institution. Due to its location on Norway's western coast, the university is known for its focus on marine science, and because of this, is also often referred to as the "blue" university.
Bergen is a city of approximately 235,000, and it thrives off of the university student population. Because it is encircled by mountains, the city center is relatively compact. Bergen offers a dynamic cultural life, with a variety of cafés, bars, restaurants and festivals in music, arts, and film.
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about other Learning Abroad Center programs in Norway.
Housing & Meals
You will live in the Fantoft Student Hostel located about three miles from the city center. The rooms and apartments at Fantoft are fully furnished with a bed, a desk with a chair, bookshelves, a table, and a wardrobe. You either share a large kitchen that contains a stove and refrigerator or have your own kitchenette that has a hotplate and small fridge.
The International Education Office organizes various social acitivities throughout the semester.
Students having participated in the University Study in Norway program will:
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Develop awareness of and challenge assumptions about Norwegian culture, their own culture, and how their culture is viewed by others
- Learn to function as an effective team member by appreciating and interacting with individuals different from yourself
Faculty & Staff
The International Student Mobility Office is your on-site staff during your time in Bergen. There are also international coordinators who give academic guidance within each faculty.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.