Study & Intern in Florence

Study & Intern in Florence — Visa

Visa Requirements

Use the Learning Abroad Center's visa processing service if you are studying on the University of Minnesota's Study Abroad in Florence program and if you are located in the Twin Cities area. You are required to meet in person with the Florence adviser to complete the required paperwork. More information will be sent to you by email after you are confirmed in the program. A student visa is necessary for semester students; summer students do not need a visa.

If you cannot use the Learning Abroad Center's visa service, follow the instructions below.

General Information

A visa is a stamp placed in your passport by an Italian consulate outside Italy. You must apply for a student visa from the Italian consulate that has jurisdiction over the state where you permanently reside. Most Italian consulates now require that you apply for your visa in person. You cannot apply for a visa earlier than 90 days from the date of your departure. Prepare the following documents before you meet with the Consulate or the Consular Correspondant.

Documents check-list

  1. Duly filled Visa Application Form Notice that all the names appearing on the passport must appear on the application form (all data must match those on the passport). The form must be dated and signed in front of a Visa Officer;
  2. Recent passport-size photograph (1.2”x1.5” or 3x4 cm), on white background, full face and front view, stapled/glued to the application form. Scanned or photocopied photos will NOT be accepted;
  3. Valid passport plus 1 copy of the page with photograph and expiration date. The passport or travel document must be valid at least three months after the visa expiration date. Make sure the passport has at least two blank pages to affix the visa;
  4. For non-US citizens: original and copy of Permanent Residence Card OR other US immigration document allowing re-entry into the United States (e.g., valid long-term US visa, Advanced Parole, etc.). International students must submit original and copy of F-1 Visa and endorsed I-20;
  5. Original and copy of Driver’s License or State ID as proof of residence in the jurisdiction of this Consulate General. Full-time students may also use original and copy of Student ID. If you recently moved and have not updated your ID, you must submit another proof of current address (e.g., utility bills, bank statements, etc.);
  6. Official letter of acceptance from an accredited academic institution in Italy, in original and copy. The letter, on the institution’s letterhead, must be addressed to the Consulate General of Italy and specify the period of study, the full-time enrollment (at least 20 hours per week), and if tuition and room/board are covered in full—The Learning Abroad Center will provide this for students on the Study Abroad in Florence program;
  7. For Study Abroad students: letter of enrollment from home academic institution addressed to the Consulate General of Italy, indicating the student’s current status (full-time in good standing) and expected date of graduation. This letter must be accompanied by the letter of acceptance into the Study Abroad Program, when this is sponsored by a different US College or University—The Learning Abroad Center will provide this for students on the Study Abroad in Florence program;
  8. Proof of financial means. The three most recent bank statements showing adequate financial means (at least $1,000 for each month of stay in Italy). Students who receive financial aid must present an official letter from their University stating amount of aid and time of disbursement;
  9. Affidavit of Support. The parent submitting the bank statements, when applicable, must provide an affidavit of support signed in front of the Visa Officer or notarized;
  10. Proof of health insurance coverage abroad as follows:
    1. Certificate
    2.  issued by the health insurance company or by the Study Abroad Program, stating that the student has minimum coverage of $50,000 for hospitalization, emergencies, evacuation and repatriation - The Learning Abroad Center will provide this for students on the Study Abroad in Florence program;
    3. Affidavit of Overseas Health Insurance. This statement must be signed by the student in front of the Visa Officer or notarized;
  11. Proof of lodging if not included in the letter of acceptance from the Italian Institution;
  12. Confirmed flight reservation for a round trip. If your stay is longer than 6 months, you can present a one-way ticket together with proof of available funds for the purchase of the return ticket;
  13. Return envelope: required in the event that applicants cannot collect the passport with the visa in person. Provide envelope of UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICES EXPRESS MAIL or PRIORITY MAIL with a tracking number, pre-paid and self-addressed.


500 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1850
Chicago, IL 60611
Telephone: 312.467.1550/1/2
Fax: 312.467.1335

Italian Visa Requirements for Non-Minnesota Residents

General Requirements:

  1. Immediately contact the consulate that has jurisdiction over the state in which you permanently reside to request a visa appointment and application. Consulates also have applications available online.
  2. When you complete the application, follow the instructions exactly. Although procedures vary from one Italian consulate to another most require:
    • A passport valid for 90 days more than your stay abroad.
    • Visa application form, completed and signed before Notary Public if applying by mail.
    • Letter of Acceptance from the Learning Abroad Center.
    • Proof of Student Status from the Learning Abroad Center.
    • Letter from Italian Institution. (This letter will be provided by the Learning Abroad Center.)
    • A notarized financial guarantee from your parents and a notarized statement from their bank.
    • Affidavit for medical insurance coverage in Italy.
    • One or more recent passport photos.
    • Visa fee payable by money order or certified check (see web page of consulate nearest you for exact amount as it varies from consulate to consulate).
    • Return envelope: self-addressed, pre-stamped UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE (EXPRESS MAIL) if applicant will not collect the passport with the visa in person. No other mail courier will be accepted.

NOTE: If you have questions regarding your consulate’s visa requirements, contact the consulate directly.

Program Handbook Program Orientation Visa Information