About Study & Intern in Florence
Experience Italian life and culture, past and present, in the beautiful and lively city of Florence. Famous for its Renaissance legacy, Florence is a thriving city with a fascinating mix of historic and contemporary culture. Buses, taxis and mopeds drive within feet of the Duomo, Florence's magnificent cathedral; chic shops and elegant restaurants line the charming avenues; historic piazzas, ringed with outdoor cafes, host performance artists and flea markets. Enjoy the region's mild climate and world-famous cuisine in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Take classes in art, art history, business, Italian language, history, sociology, psychology, photography and retail design. Students attend class in the Oltrarno neighborhood, on the south side of the Arno river, in the Piazza Santo Spirito, which is home to one of Florence’s best-known basilicas—Santa Maria del Santo Spirito. This neighborhood is within easy walking distance of major monuments and museums. The area around Piazza Santo Spirito is still very much inhabited by Florentines and full of artisans, artists, galleries, trattorie, and antique shops, which provide a unique atmosphere. Students can join sport teams, take part in a language exchange, volunteer, or take part in student groups.
Housing & Meals
Students choosing to live with a host family will experience true Florentine life. Students have a furnished bedroom in an Italian home and some meals are also included. This is a great opportunity for students to excel with their Italian language ability and also to live and learn with Florentines who can give you glimpse into true Italian life.
Students choosing an apartment will be housed with other study abroad students on the program. Students live in furnished student apartments and each apartment has two to four bedrooms. Students will be responsible for their own meals.
In addition to exploring Florence all students participate in a 5-day study tour to Sicily. This study tour includes intensive language study, historical tours, guest lectures and a visit to Mount Etna.
All students will have the opportunity to experience Italian host families through a hosted evening dinner with an Italian family.
- Understand how cultural heritage affects contemporary Italian society
- Uncover a more complex understanding of Italy through visits to various geographic regions of the country
- Gain a deeper understanding of Florence and Italian culture through experiential classes and required Italian language learning
- Develop a better understanding of own values and beliefs through intercultural activities
- Develop critical and analytical thinking skills that can later be leveraged in industry and the workplace
Faculty & Staff
On-site support is provided by ACCENT International. Students take courses at the ACCENT center and have access to a computer lab and classroom space. ACCENT on-site staff provide information to students regarding cultural activities as well as ensuring 24-hour emergency support. ACCENT provides housing, classrooms and study areas, as well as on-site orientation, program excursions and social and cultural events. Italian and international faculty from universities in and around Florence provide all course instruction.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.