About Study & Intern in Florence
Experience Italian life and culture, past and present, in the beautiful and lively city of Florence. Famous for its Renaissance legacy, Florence is a thriving city with a fascinating mix of historic and contemporary culture. Buses, taxis, and mopeds drive within feet of the Duomo, Florence's magnificent cathedral; chic shops and elegant restaurants line the charming avenues; historic piazzas, ringed with outdoor cafes, host performance artists and flea markets. Enjoy the region's mild climate and world-famous cuisine in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
Take classes in art, art history, business, Italian language, history, psychology, photography, retail design, and sociology. Attend class in the Oltrarno neighborhood, on the south side of the Arno river, in the Piazza Santo Spirito, which is home to one of Florence’s best-known basilicas—Santa Maria del Santo Spirito. This neighborhood is within easy walking distance of major monuments and museums. The area around Piazza Santo Spirito is still very much inhabited by Florentines and full of artisans, artists, galleries, trattorie, and antique shops, all of which provide a unique atmosphere. Join sport teams or student groups, volunteer, or take part in a language exchange.
Housing & Meals
Live with a host family to experience home Italian life. You will have a furnished bedroom in an Italian home, with some meals included. This is a great opportunity to improve your Italian language ability and live and learn with Florentines.
If you choose an apartment, you will live with other study abroad students on the program. The student apartments are furnished and include two to four bedrooms. You will be responsible for your own meals.
In addition to exploring Florence all students participate in a 5-day study tour to Sicily. This study tour includes intensive language study, historical tours, guest lectures and a visit to Mount Etna.
All students will have the opportunity to experience Italian host families through a hosted evening dinner with an Italian family.
Coordinated Group Flight
The Learning Abroad Center works with Village Travel, a local travel agency, to arrange a coordinated flight for program participants. The flight is optional, and is arranged for those who want to fly with other program participants. Group flight information is typically available by the program application deadline, if not before.
If you take the group flight, or are able to arrive before the group flight and wait, our staff will meet you at the airport and bring you to your housing at no added cost. If you do not take the group flight, you will need to make your own way to the ACCENT center upon arrival. Specific arrival instructions will be sent out prior to your departure.
For immigration purposes, you should purchase a round-trip ticket, since you must be able to show your entry and exit dates from Italy.
- Understand how cultural heritage affects contemporary Italian society
- Uncover a more complex understanding of Italy through visits to various geographic regions of the country
- Gain a deeper understanding of Florence and Italian culture through experiential classes and required Italian language learning
- Develop a better understanding of own values and beliefs through intercultural activities
- Develop critical and analytical thinking skills that can later be leveraged in industry and the workplace
Faculty & Staff
On-site support is provided by ACCENT International. Students take courses at the ACCENT center and have access to a computer lab and classroom space. ACCENT on-site staff provide information to students regarding cultural activities as well as ensuring 24-hour emergency support. ACCENT provides housing, classrooms and study areas, as well as on-site orientation, program excursions and social and cultural events. Italian and international faculty from universities in and around Florence provide all course instruction.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.