About Scholarship Exchange in Iceland
This program provides two students per year near-full scholarships to spend an academic year at the University of Iceland.
The Iceland Past Participant Final Report is an excellent resource for learning more about this scholarship exchange.
The Scholarship Exchange Program in Iceland is funded by the Val Björnson Icelandic Exchange Scholarship.
Housing & Meals
Housing is usually arranged in a university dormitory, generally in single rooms with shared kitchen and bath. Homestays and apartments can also be arranged independently.
Scholarship support from the Val Björnson Icelandic Exchange Scholarship helps cover some of the cost of housing. Whether you decide to live in a dormitory, a homestay, or an apartment, you'll receive a housing stipend to assist with housing costs. The monthly stipend will be roughly ISK55,000 (approximately $555) per student per month.
The University of Iceland in located in the capital city of Reykjavik and provides access to all the city has to offer. Past Scholarship Exchange students have traveled throughout Iceland and Europe during their year abroad.
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse worldviews, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how your experience abroad has impacted you personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
Instruction is in English and Icelandic by Icelandic faculty at the University of Iceland.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.