About Intensive Thai in Thailand
With its fascinating cultural sites and wide array of environmental diversity, Thailand has long been a popular destination for travelers the world over. While Thailand can lay claim to being the only southeast Asian country not be colonized by European today, it serves as a major hub of industry, agriculture, and tourism.
The Intensive Thai in Thailand program can be combined with the MSID Thailand semester or academic-year program for an extended experience abroad.
Housing & Meals
Homestays are an integral component of the learning experience. You will live and share most meals with a family in order to gain deeper cultural insight into life in Thailand.
Excursions to locations of cultural interest in and around Chang Mai are included in the program fee.
- Improve Thai speaking, writing, listening, and reading skills
- Foster an understanding of the global context through classroom and experiential learning
- Cultivate awareness and appreciation for diverse communities
- Strengthen communication skills through acquisition of local languages and cultural awareness
Faculty & Staff
Mark A. Ritchie, Ph.D., Executive Director
Mark has lived in Thailand for over 20 years, working with local communities, international development work, as well as international education. Originally from the United States, Mark studied the transition of agrarian rural communities in Northern Thailand, and has been involved in project evaluation and assessment, participatory development research, and training of local communities in Asia. He founded ISDSI with his wife, Dana E.C. Ritchie, 15 years ago, and is currently working on empowering local communities through international education.
Kanokporn (Aoy) Deeburee, Program Coordinator
Aoy has an academic background in social development and community development. She received her Masters in Social Development from Chiang Mai University and has worked in numerous research and development projects throughout Thailand and the Mekong region. She coordinates the MSID Thailand program including placements in non-profit/NGO internships.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.