About Study & Intern in Sydney
Set on Port Jackson, Sydney is Australia's largest city with a population of over 4 million people. Originally established as a British colony and now Australia's premier city, Sydney boasts dazzling harbors, beaches, a multicultural population, and a host of restaurants and attractions. The extensive public transportation system of ferries, buses, and trains lets you see and experience it all.
The Study and Intern in Sydney program offers courses that deepen your understanding of Australian culture. The strength of the program is the internship experience, which allows you to integrate with Australians, experience the culture firsthand, and gain professional work experience.
Housing & Meals
Housing is provided in comfortable, well-equipped apartments or homestays. All students find out their housing placements about 2 weeks prior to departure.
Apartment housing is at Urbanest Sydney Central located in the educational and cultural hub of Ultimo in Sydney. Up to 8 students share an apartment with 2 twin bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and laundry facilities. Meals are not included for students who choose this option, but each apartment has a full kitchen.
Students who choose the homestay option have a room to themselves. Breakfast and dinner are included.
All students receive a transportation pass for the term included in the program fee. This pass will give students access to all local transportation except for ferries.
Excursions to the Blue Mountains and an stay overnight at Sydney's Toranga Zoo are included in the program fee.
On the semester program, students also receive a social membership to the Sydney TAFE student union, allowing access to a libraries and clubs.
Students can take advantage of MyEducation events, a calendar of events centered around key themes that provides students a tool to help personalize their experience in Sydney.
- Deepen cross-cultural understanding through interaction with local community via internships and service-learning
- Increase independence and self-reliance through learning to navigate Australian society
- Gain Australian and international perspectives on academic disciplines
- Develop awareness of and challenge assumptions about Australian culture, your own culture, and how your culture is viewed by others
- Gain knowledge and insight into a professional career through internships and service-learning
Faculty & Staff
The Centres for Academic Programmes Abroad (CAPA) provides housing, program classrooms, and study areas. CAPA also arranges on-site orientation and program excursions, as well as social and cultural events. Classes are taught by Australian faculty who are specialists in their academic field and in the field of teaching foreign students.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.