About University Study in New Zealand: University of Otago
The University of Otago, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the southern hemisphere, is located in Dunedin, on New Zealand's South Island. Dunedin, New Zealand's "college town," is friendly and intimate with a population of 120,000 and a thriving student population. While there is a relaxed feel about the city, opportunities abound for pursuing outdoor and sporting activities.
Go to the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about the Learning Abroad Center's other University Study in New Zealand programs.
Housing & Meals
Choose between on- or off-campus accommodations. Meal plan available with on-campus accommodation. A highlight of the housing includes the possibility to live with New Zealand resident students in apartments or houses.
The University of Otago can advise you on recreational activities in and around Dunedin. The University's Recreation Services offers a program that will enable you to access a range of activities, including horseback riding, hiking, skiing and more.
You also have the opportunity to participate in a conservation volunteer weekend during your time in New Zealand. This is a great way to meet other students, take part in a service a project and learn about the New Zealand environment.
Students studying at the University of Otago will:
- augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with New Zealand and international students and community members;
- experience New Zealand and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the New Zealand host university;
- and enhance their intentionality through independent, though supported, living and learning opportunities.
Faculty & Staff
The Univeristy of Otago has staff available to provide orientation, on-site support and advising to help you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.