About Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Sophia University
Attend classes at the Ichigaya Campus of Sophia University, one of the best-known private universities in Japan, just 20 minutes from central Tokyo. Sophia is one of Tokyo's most internationally diverse universities, hosting several hundred visiting students each semester.
Housing & Meals
Sophia University organizes various types of housing for exchange students. Dormitories are located in different areas of Tokyo and will require commuting. The dormitories vary in size and type of amenities provided. If you prefer a homestay, it will be organized by a private housing organization in Tokyo.
Student life in Japan is active, and Sophia University offers many student clubs and organizations, which are a great way to meet people and socialize.
Students having participated in a bilateral exchange program will:
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how their experience abroad has impacted them personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
Sophia University has staff available to provide orientation, on-site support and advising to help you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.