About Exchange in Tokyo, Japan: Hitotsubashi University
Located approximately 60 minutes from central Tokyo, Hitotsubashi University is a leading Japanese university in the social sciences that emphasizes small-class education. One of the prominent characteristics is the seminar style approach that keeps class sizes small and preserves a traditional private-school style that focuses on intense student-faculty interaction and provides rich course content. Hitotsubashi's exchange program is noted for its high levels of student oversight and support.
For more information on the University of Minnesota's other Japanese exchange partner schools, view the at a glance comparison page.
Housing & Meals
Housing is provided in dorms with other program participants and Japanese students.
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how your experience abroad has impacted you personally, academically and professionally
Faculty & Staff
Hitotsubashi University staff provide orientation, on-site support and advising to help you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life. The exchange program at Hitotsubashi is small, allowing for high levels of interaction between students and staff, and high levels of student support.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.