About Exchange in Kyoto, Japan—Ritsumeikan University
Ritsumeikan University enjoys a rich and prominent history and is considered one of the most distinguished institutions of higher learning and research in Japan. The Kinugasa Campus is located in northwestern Kyoto, a 1,200-year-old city rich in art and culture. Business Track students will take classes at the Biwako-Kusatsu Campus located in Kusatsu City, Shiga Prefecture.
For more information on the University of Minnesota's other Japanese exchange partner schools, view the at a glance comparison page.
Housing & Meals
You will live in dormitory or apartment housing for exchange students.
Ritsumeikan hosts a large number of visiting students each year, and various student groups and activities are a great way to meet other Japanese and international students. Read more about Student Life on the Ritsumeikan University website.
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how your experience abroad has impacted you personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.