About Exchange in Nagoya, Japan
Nagoya University is located in the nerve center of the Chubu Industrial Zone, a region where traditional and modern industries meet. The area has played a central role in Japan's history as the home of Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, the three military leaders who unified Japan more than 400 years ago, bringing an end to the Period of Warring States.
Nagoya University offers a wide range of coursework taught in English, and it is an ideal university for students with limited Japanese language background.
For more information on the University of Minnesota's other Japanese exchange partner schools, view the at a glance comparison page.
Housing & Meals
You will live in dormitories with other international students. They include fully furnished bedrooms and shared kitchens.
For meals, you may prepare your own food or eat at local restaurants.
Nagoya University has a wide range of cultural and sports clubs, which provide an excellent opportunity to meet Japanese students. There are also a number of volunteer groups involved with international students.
Students having participated in a bilateral exchange program will:
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse world views, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how their experience abroad has impacted them personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
On-site support is provided by Nagoya University's Education Center for International Students and International Affairs Division. Staff are available to provide you with academic advising as well as support adjusting to a new educational system and integrating into campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.