About Exchange in Hiroshima, Japan
Study at the University of Hiroshima’s spacious campus, located 30 minutes outside of central Hiroshima. Advanced language students looking for an environment with few English speakers, as well as abundant opportunities to interact with local students, will enjoy life at Hiroshima University.
Details about Hiroshima University are available on the HUSA exchange program fact sheet.
For more information on the University of Minnesota's other Japanese exchange partner schools, view the at-a-glance comparison page.
Housing & Meals
The majority of international students live in single rooms in the Ikenoue dormitory. Japanese students live in the dormitory too, making it a great way to integrate into university life. Every floor in the dormitory has a kitchen, and there are also cafeterias and dining halls on campus.
There are many opportunities to get involved at Hiroshima University. The Hiroshima University Study Abroad program organizes conversation partners, homestay opportunities, and various events throughout the year. These events include festivals, cherry blossom viewing, and more. Hiroshima University also has a multitude of clubs, circles, and sports/martial arts groups that any student can join.
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse worldviews, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how your experience abroad has impacted you personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.