About University Study in Australia: James Cook University
Australia's varied landscape, cultural diversity, and rich history offer something for everyone. If you are looking for beach or desert, bustling cities or quaint towns, Australia has it. With campuses in two attractive coastal cities, James Cook University provides the perfect academic base from which to explore the Great Barrier Reef, tropical rainforest, and outback.
Study at James Cook University, one of Australia's top research universities, highly regarded for its excellence in tropical research, marine science, and environmental science. You will find top-notch facilities, qualified staff, excellent support, and smaller classes at James Cook
Select JCU's main campus in the regional hub Townsville, or farther north at the Cairns campus, right next door to the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit the At a Glance Comparison page to learn some quick facts about the Learning Abroad Center's other University Study in Australia programs.
Housing & Meals
Visit JCU's Accommodation page for information about housing options. Most students live on campus with Australian and other international students. Housing is guaranteed for students who apply by the deadline.
The International Student Centre staff organize excursions during orientation week. International Student organizations provide low cost excursions throughout the semester on the Townsville campus. Students at the Cairns campus have excursions coordinated by Arcadia, the Learning Abroad Center's on-site partner.
- Augment cross-cultural understanding through interaction with Australian and international students and community members
- Experience Australian and international perspectives on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the Australian host university
- Enhance intentionality through independent, though supported, living and learning opportunities.
Faculty & Staff
James Cook University has staff available to provide orientation, on-site support, and advising to help you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.