About Exchange in Ecuador
This program provides one student per year a scholarship to spend an academic year at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito. This exchange is characterized by profound cultural integration, as recipients live with a host family and take all coursework at USFQ entirely in Spanish. Recipients of the scholarship are expected to honor a 3-year commitment.
The Ecuador Past Participant Final Report is an excellent resource for learning more about this scholarship exchange.
Housing & Meals
Housing is arranged with a local host family, though the student will pay for accommodations.
- Develop a stronger sense of confidence by engaging in a highly independent study abroad program and foster second language acquisition whenever possible
- Learn to appreciate diverse worldviews, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity; added benefit of reciprocity to foster mutual respect and understanding
- Experience a new culturally specific academic system and incorporate different academic perspectives
- Identify and communicate how your experience abroad has impacted you personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
Instruction is in Spanish by Ecuadorian faculty at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.