About University Study in Israel: Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem is a multidisciplinary institution of higher learning and research, a scientific center of international repute, and is ranked among the world’s leading universities. At the Hebrew University, students of all backgrounds receive a university education where excellence is emphasized.
About 2,000 international students from around the world enroll at the Rothberg International School at Hebrew University every year.
This program appeals to students who are interested in experiencing Israeli and Middle Eastern culture, would like to study alongside Israeli and other international students, or need to fulfill major requirements.
The US Department of State has issued a travel warning that affects this program. The Learning Abroad Center has obtained approval from the University of Minnesota's International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee (ITRAAC) for the University Study in Israel: Hebrew University of Jerusalem program. Review the approval details.
Housing & Meals
Students are required to live in the Mount Scopus on-campus housing, which allows you to meet other students and experience Israeli student life.
Students are usually housed in apartments with single bedrooms. Kitchen and bathroom facilities are shared.
There is no meal plan, but the kitchens are equipped with stove burners and refrigerators for preparing light meals and snacks.
The Rothberg International School at Hebrew University organizes an extensive orientation as well as activities throughout the semester. They also employ full-time Madrichim (or Social Activities Coordinators) who build and implement the social activities program.
The Madrichim live on campus, and it is their responsibility to assist you in engaging in campus life as much as possible. Most social activities planned by the Rothberg International School are included in the program fee, so you are encouraged to take advantage of them all.
Students studying at Hebrew University of Jerusalem will:
- Augment their cross-cultural understanding through interaction with host country and international students and community members
- Experience host country and international viewpoints on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at the Israeli host university
- Gain a better understanding of the diverse perspectives of the social, political, historical, and economic realities of Israel and the Palestinian Territories
- Enhance their intentionality through independent, though supported, living and learning opportunities
Faculty & Staff
All courses are taught by Hebrew University of Jerusalem faculty.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.