About University Study in Israel: University of Haifa
The University of Haifa campus spreads along the Carmel Mountain ridge and is surrounded by the Carmel National Park. It enrolls about 18,000 students from the surrounding areas, as well as students from other parts of Israel who want the opportunity to experience the Mediterranean city of Haifa. About 700 international students study in the programs of the International School each year.
The University of Haifa is very proud of the diversity on campus and the student body is a mixture of Jews, Christians, Muslims, and Druze, a combination of new immigrants and native Israelis, and a blend of secular and religious students.
The US Department of State has issued a travel warning that affects this program. The Learning Abroad Center has obtained approval from the University of Minnesota's International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee (ITRAAC) for the University Study in Israel: University of Haifa program. Review the approval details.
Housing & Meals
Students are required to live in on-campus dormitories. The dorms are fully integrated with Israeli students which allows you unique insight into the many cultures, religions, and views of Israel.
The Federman Dorms have modest apartments with three double rooms and a shared bathroom, kitchen, and living space. The Talia Dorms have spacious apartments with six single rooms, each room with its own bathroom, a shared kitchen, and a shared living space. Federman and Talia have basic cooking facilities.
The International School at the University of Haifa organizes an extensive orientation as well as social activities throughout the semester. They also employ full-time Madrichim (or Social Activities Coordinators) who build and implement the social activities program.
The Madrichim live on campus, and it is their responsibility to assist you in engaging in campus life as much as possible. Most social activities planned by the International School are included in the program fee, so you are encouraged to take advantage of them all.
There are also many opportunities to volunteer in the community with a local organization.
Students studying at the University of Haifa will:
- Augment cross-cultural understanding through interaction with host country and international students and community members
- Experience host country and international viewpoints on academic disciplines through direct enrollment at Israeli host university
- Gain a better understanding of diverse social, political, historical, and economic perspectives in Israel and Palestinian Territories
- Enhance intentionality through independent though supported living and learning opportunities
Faculty & Staff
All courses are taught by University of Haifa faculty.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.