|Program Type||This program is a university study program, which allows you to directly enroll in a foreign university and take classes with host country students. Instruction is in English by African faculty.|
|Program Level||Various levels|
|Courseload||14-18 credits per semester and 28-36 credits for the academic year|
This program appeals to students who are interested in learning about the culture of South Africa, would like to take classes related to their major or minor, need to fulfill liberal arts requirements or want to take classes with South African students.
You receive resident credit for the courses you take. Your grades factor into your University of Minnesota GPA and each course appears on your transcript with an A/F grade. Consult the Learning Abroad Center's Academic Policies page for more information.
Students are required to maintain a minimum enrollment of 14 credits per semester.
For more tips on finding course information, go to Finding Course Information for Host Universities.
Major Advising Pages
The University of Cape Town offers coursework, and has been identified as a strong curricular match, for the following UMN degree programs:
- African American & African Studies
- American Studies
- Art History
- Biological Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business & Marketing Education
- Chemical Engineering
- Chicano - Latino Studies
- Civil & Geological Engineering
- Construction Management
- Cultural Studies & Comparative Literature and Studies in Cinema & Media Culture
- Earth Sciences
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies
- Global Studies
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Sociology - LCD
- Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences
- Urban Studies
- Youth Studies
- Medicine, Public Health & Health Sciences
- Sustainability Studies Minor
Global Identity: Connecting Your International Experience with Your Future is an optional 1-credit online course that helps you process your overseas experience and apply what you've learned upon your return. The course assists you in marketing your study abroad experience for future goals, making you stand out from your peers upon return.
Global Identity helps you:
- Gain practice marketing your international experience to future employers or graduate and professional schools, giving you a professional edge.
- Receive individualized feedback and mentoring to promote enhanced understanding of your experiences abroad.
- Maximize the return on your study abroad investment by learning how to use your experience to stand out from other students.
- Understand the value of the intercultural skill-set you acquire overseas, and how to use it upon return.
Because integrated-study programs like University Study programs provide less on-site support than other study abroad program models, Global Identity is offered at no additional cost (regular $200 tuition is waived for students on this program). Global Identity gives you the opportunity to work individually with a trained cultural mentor, helping you understand and articulate the skills you’re developing during your time abroad. Registration instructions will be emailed out via the Learning Abroad Center, or you can contact Ryan McCarthy for additional information.