About University Study in South Africa: Cape Town
Experience South African culture firsthand while learning alongside South African students. Study in an urban setting at the University of Cape Town. The University of Cape Town is South Africa’s oldest university and is one of Africa’s leading teaching and research institutions. The main campus occupies a beautiful site on the slopes of Table Mountain.
Housing & Meals
Most students live in group houses or apartments. Houses or apartments are shared with other students studying at either UCT or the University of the Western Cape. The neighborhoods were chosen for their proximity to the UCT main campus and their student feel. Accommodations are in safe neighborhoods and the buildings are secure. All accommodations will have basic amenities- bed, linens, basic kitchen facilities, bedrooms, bathroom, shared living space. Internet is available in all accommodation on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Students have the opportunity to participate in excursions throughout the semester or year. Excursions are designed to complement your experience and enhance your understanding of South African culture, politics, and geography.
Organized events, such as music festivals, theater outings, sporting events, and political lectures are encouraged opportunities to enhance your experience.
Students having participated in the University Study in South Africa program will:
- Reflect on their own power and privilege
- Gain a better understanding of the social, political, historical, and economic realities of South Africa
- Learn to appreciate relativity, accept complexity, and embrace ambiguity
- Identify and communicate how their experience abroad has impacted them personally, academically, and professionally
Faculty & Staff
The university has staff available to provide orientation, on-site support and advising, helping you adjust to a new educational system and integrate into campus life.
About the Learning Abroad Center
Learning Abroad Center programs are:
- Affordable: our programs are cost effective.
- Academically strong: many programs have strong University of Minnesota departmental support and offer pre-approved courses for many majors.
- Culturally rich: regardless of the program you choose, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Expertly managed: our staff in Minnesota and abroad are trained professionals and are always available to answer your questions from extensive pre-departure advising and online orientations to reentry programming. Your safety and well-being are paramount, and we work hard to ensure you have a rewarding and safe experience abroad.